Re: [beemonitoring] Pinning boxes

  • Matthias Buck
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2010
      Dave:

      If those are plastic boxes just make sure that you keep them open for most of the time while specimens are still drying. Otherwise you might grow some spectacular mold!

      Cheers,

                   Matthias

      On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM, pollinator2001 <Pollinator@...> wrote:

      I just wanted to alert folks that Wal-Mart has a supply of kids plastic pencil boxes. They are too small for a real collection, but just right for temporarily isolating in all the pinned specimens off one collecting site or one flower until they can be IDed. Inside dimensions are about 4 1/2 by 7 1/2.

      I bought a bunch of them @ 50 cents, glued styrofoam in the bottom and found them so good I went back for more. I was pleasantly surprised to find them marked down to $.25.

      The boxes are fairly sturdy and are stackable. They come in cartons of 15. They'd probably make good mailing boxes as well.

      I suspect that they will only be available for a short time, as they are in the Back-to-School area.

      Dave

      --
      Dr. Matthias Buck
      Invertebrate Zoology