Re: [beemonitoring] RE: use of new Squash Bee Trap?

  • Sharon Muczynski
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
      Bee Group,

      I too, have been concerned about unnecessary killing of bees. As a matter of fact I did my whole insect collection for Entomology last year with only found dead insects. Everyone in my class thought I was odd and eccentric to care so much about a handful of bugs. I think all life is precious and not to be wasted. It is nice to hear some similar sentiments. I do realize, however, that it is difficult- if not impossible- to identify many species by sight.

      Best,
      Sharon Muczynski LEED® AP
      Graduate Student in Conservation Ecology

      On Sep 3, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Cane, Jim wrote:

      Folks- I am curious (trying not to be appalled) as to why someone would want to kill Peponapis bees en masse with pan trapping?  What can’t be learned

      from surveying for them at the very flowers that are being used to bait them to pan traps?  Certainly there is a lot that can’t be learned

      from merely killing the bees through passive sampling.  Voucher specimens I can understand.  I could say more, but will

      reserve judgment, knowing that I often don’t see all the angles to an issue and would like to learn the justification in this case.

      Yours,

      Jim Cane

    • John S. Ascher
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
        Certain bee species and a very few bee faunas are well known and can be
        repeatedly sampled, so that adequate information can be obtained using
        observation or inefficient, highly selective collecting methods. In these
        limited circumstances large-scale collecting ("killing") may be
        unwarranted.

        However, most bee species are poorly known and most bee faunas are
        inadequately characterized if not entirely unknown. The only efficient way
        to remedy this is to collect bees on a large scale using highly effective
        methods. Alternatively, we can remain ignorant or waste carbon on repeat
        visits (spewing pollutants and smashing bees against our windshield en
        route) that may not have been required had more effective techniques been
        employed.

        Those who oppose "unnecessary killing" on principal have done immense harm
        to bee populations by preventing control of the deer that eat their host
        plants. They have a lot more hemolymph on their hands then do insect
        collectors.

        "I did my whole insect collection for Entomology last year with only found
        dead insects"

        I'm sure it was amusing but had little scientific value.

        Jim, I'm afraid that many people cannot distinguish Peponapis from the
        smaller Xenoglossa (see Bugguide), and until they learn to do so they will
        need to document their identifications with vouchers (photo or specimen).
        Consubgeneric Xenoglossa can be quite tricky to separate (as are Peponapis
        where multiple species occur), so if these are to be separated even more
        problematic to rely on observation or sparse vouchers. Thus, squash bee
        identification remains a challenge even though these are among the better
        known bees.

        John

        --
        John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
        Bee Database Project Manager
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

> [...]

          "I did my whole insect collection for Entomology last year with only found
          dead insects"

          I'm sure it was amusing but had little scientific value.

          >>>I doubt the purpose was for the immediate advancement of science or for amusement; it was for a class.

          Jim, I'm afraid that many people cannot distinguish Peponapis from the
          smaller Xenoglossa (see Bugguide), and until they learn to do so they will
          need to document their identifications with vouchers (photo or specimen).
          Consubgeneric Xenoglossa can be quite tricky to separate (as are Peponapis
          where multiple species occur), so if these are to be separated even more
          problematic to rely on observation or sparse vouchers. Thus, squash bee
          identification remains a challenge even though these are among the better

          I’ll let Jim respond if he wishes.

          Vince T.

          John

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
            "manic collectors, those who buy t-shirts that say "I collect, therefore I
            am""

            Straw men if I've ever seen one. Here's another one: "If the objective is
            simply to use some pins and fill a bunch of drawers"

            "I doubt the purpose was for the immediate advancement of science or for
            amusement; it was for a class."

            In many areas just about the only records we have of Bombus affinis and
            other species of interest for entire decades (e.g., the 1970s and 1980s)
            are those collected (not found dead) by students for their entomology
            classes. "Responsible" "scientific" collectors (including myself in the
            late 1990s when I was in Ithaca) saw no point in collecting long series of
            such a common bee. If such series existed today they would be extremely
            valuable as they could be used to screen for internal parasites such as
            Nosema and to document baseline population structure prior to declines.

            The long-term value of specimens, and in particular long series of
            specimens, cannot be anticipated.

            "Tell me again: who did that work?"

            I have no idea what this means and suspect I'm not alone among readers of
            this list serve. If you're referring to your work or other particular work
            please do us all a favor and provide the reference.

            Regarding the importance of taking care when identifying squash bees, and
            not assuming that you know a priori which species occur at a site, note
            that Glenn Hall recently found that "The Squash Bee Xenoglossa kansensis
            Cockerell (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Found in Organic Farms in Northern
            Florida" [http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2317/0022-8567-83.1.84%5d was a
            species not previously reported from this "well known" state.

            I live in New York City, long one of the most populated places on earth,
            and regret to report that not a single comprehensive bee collection has
            been made from the greater metropolitan area (Yurlina's studies on Staten
            Island were relatively intensive), and there are essentially no extensive
            collections between the 1930s and recent times. Our best sample, from the
            1890s, consists of only a few hundred specimens, with very few long
            series. Where were the "manic collectors" of bees when we needed them?

            John