Bees of Timber Ridge Camp, WV August 2006

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2007

      Attached is a file containing the results of bowl and net captures of native bees found at Timber Ridge Camp along the Cacapon River in Hampshire County.  I was attending a folk dance and music camp with my family and had some extra time so put out bowls and did some netting.

      This file is also available at:

      An excel file with the raw data is available to anyone who wishes it.  These data are available for anyone's use.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      Poets and Scientists Find Boxelder Bugs
      Useful for Both Metaphor and Experiment

      Crush a boxelder bug.
      After the little snap
      a tiny liquid drop
      the color of honey comes
      out on your thumb.
      The boxelder bug does not
      hear this sound.
      The red racing stripes on
      his black back, like decorated
      running shoes, finally don't
      run anywhere, anymore.
      You, on the other hand, had done
      what your life prepared you for:
      kill something useless and innocent,
      and try to find some beauty in it.
                  Bill Holm

    • David_r_smith@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2007

        Sam,

        You are as bad as I am collecting aquatic insects when I am on vacation with family.  I got six new "lifer" stonefly genera in Oregon a week ago.  When ever we are hiking the family knows we are taking a break if the trail crosses a creek.

        Dave