Re: [beemonitoring] Picture of new Squash Bee Trap

  • Laurence Packer
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2010
      Greetings

      This is pretty impressive.

      I think it would be a great way to check up on the floral preferences of bees in rarely studied parts of the world, just add a bunch of the plant to a soapy bowl, different plant species in different bowls in the same general area and see what the differences in proportional catches are.

      thanks

      laurence

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 31, 2010
        Hi Sam,
        This information is so good and congratulation to Alex.  We'll try it in Ghana.
        Best wishes.
        Peter

        Dr. Peter K. Kwapong, Department of Entomology & Wildlife - International Stingless Bee Centre (ISBC), School of Biological Sciences, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast. GHANA. Office Tel. +233 42 31191 Home Tel. +233 3321 30102 Cell. +233 20 9764697, Fax +233 3321 35323.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

          Folks- I am curious (trying not to be appalled) as to why someone would want to kill Peponapis bees en masse with pan trapping?  What can’t be learned

          from surveying for them at the very flowers that are being used to bait them to pan traps?  Certainly there is a lot that can’t be learned

          from merely killing the bees through passive sampling.  Voucher specimens I can understand.  I could say more, but will

          reserve judgment, knowing that I often don’t see all the angles to an issue and would like to learn the justification in this case.

          Yours,

          Jim Cane

        • Vincent Tepedino
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

            Thank you James for speaking up for squash bees.

            I too was put off by this “promising” new technique for sending Pepos and who knows what else to the pin-yard but after my mini-eruption a while back, over what seems to be mindless collecting, I’ve been silent due to lack of support (a bit but not much).  I suppose that’s because I’m getting old and senile and semi-mental over bees.  And then my good buddy and former boss (who shall remain unnamed unless he chooses to out himself) always gives me the hoary line about more bees being killed on car grills in a minute, etc., etc.  And I wonder, even if that’s true, how does it justify slaughtering more for questionable reasons.  To echo James’ question:  How does it?

            Vince Tepedino

            USDA ARS (retired)

            Bee Biology & Systematics Lab

            Dept of Biology

            Utah State University

            Logan UT 84322-5310

            vince.tepedino@...

            435-797-2559

            435-797-0461 (FAX)

            In a democracy, the delusion that would elsewhere be poured into the ears of the prince, is poured into the those of the people (James Fenimore Cooper)

          • David_r_smith@fws.gov
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

              I thought the original point of using these milk jug traps with the flower blossom was an alternative when study-sanctioned pantrapping is uneffective due to the perponderance of large blossoms in the area of interest.  Any pantrap, regardless of size, has the potential to trap a lot of bees.

            • Jack Neff
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                Vince and Jim:  I agree.  What is the point in passively collecting large numbers of a well known and easily monitored species?  Pan traps may have their uses in sampling unknown faunas, but without calibration, they can't provide useful data on either absolute or relative abundance.  It's a technique that look rigorous but isn't.

                best

                Jack

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                  Bee Group,

                  I too, have been concerned about unnecessary killing of bees. As a matter of fact I did my whole insect collection for Entomology last year with only found dead insects. Everyone in my class thought I was odd and eccentric to care so much about a handful of bugs. I think all life is precious and not to be wasted. It is nice to hear some similar sentiments. I do realize, however, that it is difficult- if not impossible- to identify many species by sight.

                  Best,
                  Sharon Muczynski LEED® AP
                  Graduate Student in Conservation Ecology

                  On Sep 3, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Cane, Jim wrote:

                  Folks- I am curious (trying not to be appalled) as to why someone would want to kill Peponapis bees en masse with pan trapping?  What can’t be learned

                  from surveying for them at the very flowers that are being used to bait them to pan traps?  Certainly there is a lot that can’t be learned

                  from merely killing the bees through passive sampling.  Voucher specimens I can understand.  I could say more, but will

                  reserve judgment, knowing that I often don’t see all the angles to an issue and would like to learn the justification in this case.

                  Yours,

                  Jim Cane

                • John S. Ascher
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                    Certain bee species and a very few bee faunas are well known and can be
                    repeatedly sampled, so that adequate information can be obtained using
                    observation or inefficient, highly selective collecting methods. In these
                    limited circumstances large-scale collecting ("killing") may be
                    unwarranted.

                    However, most bee species are poorly known and most bee faunas are
                    inadequately characterized if not entirely unknown. The only efficient way
                    to remedy this is to collect bees on a large scale using highly effective
                    methods. Alternatively, we can remain ignorant or waste carbon on repeat
                    visits (spewing pollutants and smashing bees against our windshield en
                    route) that may not have been required had more effective techniques been
                    employed.

                    Those who oppose "unnecessary killing" on principal have done immense harm
                    to bee populations by preventing control of the deer that eat their host
                    plants. They have a lot more hemolymph on their hands then do insect
                    collectors.

                    "I did my whole insect collection for Entomology last year with only found
                    dead insects"

                    I'm sure it was amusing but had little scientific value.

                    Jim, I'm afraid that many people cannot distinguish Peponapis from the
                    smaller Xenoglossa (see Bugguide), and until they learn to do so they will
                    need to document their identifications with vouchers (photo or specimen).
                    Consubgeneric Xenoglossa can be quite tricky to separate (as are Peponapis
                    where multiple species occur), so if these are to be separated even more
                    problematic to rely on observation or sparse vouchers. Thus, squash bee
                    identification remains a challenge even though these are among the better
                    known bees.

                    John

                    --
                    John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
                    Bee Database Project Manager
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

> [...]

                      "I did my whole insect collection for Entomology last year with only found
                      dead insects"

                      I'm sure it was amusing but had little scientific value.

                      >>>I doubt the purpose was for the immediate advancement of science or for amusement; it was for a class.

                      Jim, I'm afraid that many people cannot distinguish Peponapis from the
                      smaller Xenoglossa (see Bugguide), and until they learn to do so they will
                      need to document their identifications with vouchers (photo or specimen).
                      Consubgeneric Xenoglossa can be quite tricky to separate (as are Peponapis
                      where multiple species occur), so if these are to be separated even more
                      problematic to rely on observation or sparse vouchers. Thus, squash bee
                      identification remains a challenge even though these are among the better

                      I’ll let Jim respond if he wishes.

                      Vince T.

                      John

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                        "manic collectors, those who buy t-shirts that say "I collect, therefore I
                        am""

                        Straw men if I've ever seen one. Here's another one: "If the objective is
                        simply to use some pins and fill a bunch of drawers"

                        "I doubt the purpose was for the immediate advancement of science or for
                        amusement; it was for a class."

                        In many areas just about the only records we have of Bombus affinis and
                        other species of interest for entire decades (e.g., the 1970s and 1980s)
                        are those collected (not found dead) by students for their entomology
                        classes. "Responsible" "scientific" collectors (including myself in the
                        late 1990s when I was in Ithaca) saw no point in collecting long series of
                        such a common bee. If such series existed today they would be extremely
                        valuable as they could be used to screen for internal parasites such as
                        Nosema and to document baseline population structure prior to declines.

                        The long-term value of specimens, and in particular long series of
                        specimens, cannot be anticipated.

                        "Tell me again: who did that work?"

                        I have no idea what this means and suspect I'm not alone among readers of
                        this list serve. If you're referring to your work or other particular work
                        please do us all a favor and provide the reference.

                        Regarding the importance of taking care when identifying squash bees, and
                        not assuming that you know a priori which species occur at a site, note
                        that Glenn Hall recently found that "The Squash Bee Xenoglossa kansensis
                        Cockerell (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Found in Organic Farms in Northern
                        Florida" [http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2317/0022-8567-83.1.84%5d was a
                        species not previously reported from this "well known" state.

                        I live in New York City, long one of the most populated places on earth,
                        and regret to report that not a single comprehensive bee collection has
                        been made from the greater metropolitan area (Yurlina's studies on Staten
                        Island were relatively intensive), and there are essentially no extensive
                        collections between the 1930s and recent times. Our best sample, from the
                        1890s, consists of only a few hundred specimens, with very few long
                        series. Where were the "manic collectors" of bees when we needed them?

                        John