Lasioglossum zonulum

  • Robert Jean
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27 9:30 AM
      Hello all,
      I have been working on The bees of Indiana (almost finished) and I was wondering if anyone had any information on whether Lasioglossum zonulum was an introduced species or simply holarctic.  Wolf and Ascher list it as introduced in the bees of Wisconsin but I have seen no literature otherwise that would confirm this and it does not appear on the list of North American Introduced bee species list in the Handy Bee Manual.  I have seen the Zayed et al paper on Lasioglossum leucozonium using DNA evidence but was hoping someone might know about L. zonulum.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Rob Jean
      Indiana State University
      Terre Haute, IN

    • John S. Ascher
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2010
        Hi Rob,

        L. zonulum and L. leucozonium belong to the palearctic leucozonium species
        group of Lasioglossum sensu stricto as demonstrated by the morphological
        phylogeny of Ron McGinley, and later by DNA phylogenies such as that of
        Danforth and Ji, 2001
        [http://sysbio.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/2/268.full.pdf%5d. See also the
        European literature by authors such as Ebmer (e.g., 1987). Unlike
        naturally holarctic species such as L. rufitarse, both L. zonulum and L.
        leucozonium are absent from Alaska, the Yukon, and NWT (see maps in
        McGinley, 1986). This evidence, rather than any population genetic data,
        was the original basis for my hypothesis, published in Bees of the Black
        Rock Forest Preserve, New York (Hymenoptera: Apoidea) (Giles, V., and J.
        S. Ascher. 2006. Journal of Hymenoptera Research 15(2): 208-231), that
        these two species are introduced from Europe rather than native to North
        America. This paper was also the source of the hypothesis, as yet not
        adequately tested, that Megachile centuncularis may also have been
        introduced to North America long ago.

        In the same year, Zayed (2006)
        [http://www.amrozayed.com/MEN%20Zayed%202006.pdf%5d reported on
        microsatellite loci of Lasioglossum leucozonium without mentioning
        anything about it being introduced to North America.

        A later Zayed et al paper in PLoS ONE (2007)
        [http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0000868%5d
        entitled "Successful Biological Invasion despite a Severe Genetic Load"
        provided additional evidence that Lasioglossum leucozonium was introduced.
        This paper cited Giles and Ascher (2006) as the first citation of its
        status as an introduced species: "Until recently, this bee was commonly
        considered native to NA [15]".

        To my knowledge no population genenetic work on L. zonulum has been
        published yet, but DNA sequences in Genbank (which include those from
        Bryan Danforth's phylogenetic studies [e.g., AF264846 from France,
        AF264847 from NY, published in Danforth and Ji, 2001, and now perhaps
        others) and barcodes in BOLD may be informative.

        The list of North American Introduced bee species in the Handy Bee Manual
        and in all published sources is now significantly incomplete for various
        reasons, most notably the fact that we keep finding new records of
        introduced species faster than we can publish them.

        John

        --
        John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
        Bee Database Project Manager