  • Alex Surcica
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2010

    Good morning, everybody:

    I’m interested in monitoring bees in the Cucurbita fields with the bee bowl trap method. This summer I’ve used the 3.5 oz blue, yellow, and white cups and had little or no success in trapping squash bees. It looks like the bee bowls cannot successfully compete with Cucurbita flowers in attracting bees. Therefore, I thought submerging flowers in cups with soapy water would yield better results. Because of the size of the flowers, I used the bottom end of a one-gallon milk jug. The results were great. In a field with a high squash bee populations I got more than two dozen males and a couple of female squash bees in less than two hours—attached is the picture. I would like to know if this method works for any of you that have Cucurbita-related projects. I’m also wondering if submerging the flowers in soapy water would work in monitoring bees for other crops. When trying this method, you should use the least amount of detergent, since high concentrations would make flowers to lose their colors very fast. Please let me know what results you get or if you have any thoughts on how to better monitor squash bees through passive methods.

    Thank you,

    Alex

    P.S. Attached you would also find a picture I got of a squash bee male loaded with pollen. Who says male bees don’t do anything? J)

    Alex Surcic─â, Ag. Eng. (MS)

    Pennsylvania State University – Coop. Ext.

    181 Franklin Farm Lane, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania 17202

    Phone: (717) 263-9226; Fax: (717) 263-9228; Email: Alex.Surcica@...