RE: [beemonitoring] Seed Set, Phenology, and the Redbud Tree

  • Riddle,T Charles
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23 10:31 AM

      Redbud is also a legume. So there should be less maintenance (nitrogen). It seems particularly attractive to H. laboriosa, which is an important pollinator  of wild and cultivated vaccinum in the southeast. So, it would be very useful data set for this very important bee. I have been planting them and crucifers to enhance H. laboriosa habitat for better pollination on my farm.  According to the NC State Redbud Breeding Site it is may be self incompatible. It has to be cross pollinated for seed development. Additionally, Don Orton (Coincide), Lists it as “a useful indicator plant with concise blooming Stages observable over a period of 3-4 weeks”. There is a lot of genetic variation. I have found in working with Crape myrtle that certain bees prefer certain cultivars of this plant.  From and ecological standpoint, it is also a chance to find cultivars or combinations that would have the most benefit to native bees as well as just monitoring the bees themselves. Seed development may occur as pollination occurs. This provides another opportunity to access pollinator preference and efficacy over time as well as from north to south. I do want to see cultivars developed that help pollinators.

       I have found the tree hard to collect from because they can get tall enough that netting fast flying bees can be a problem.

      There are probably seed predators. I have worked with weevils and stinkbugs and usually you can tell when a seed has been eaten. A seed predator would not always eat the same seed at the same time. For example a high number of missing or small seed that should be developing at a certain time would be more probably a pollinator issue.