RE: [beemonitoring] The intriguing Halictus tectus in North America

  • Foley, Tess
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2010

      Regarding Philadelphia:

      In South Philadelphia, if you go along the Delaware river, there are some huge still active docks.  Get below South Street, and drive up and down the street closest to the Delaware river, it is now called “Columbus Avenue’ but it’s real name is Delaware Avenue.  You can actually see some huge pieces of empty lots between the docks that would be good areas to inspect, that are right alongside the Delaware river (some are open, some may be fenced in).  Also, not too far from the Delaware river and its active docks is the huge park in South Philadelphia, FDR Park. There is ample acreage to check in FDR Park, which would be a fairly short flight for pollinators just arriving from Europe.

      I’ll bet you’ll find something very special about South Philadelphia bees.

      Tess Foley

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2010

        Sam,

        Thanks for the fascinating report on your outing to the Port of Baltimore. It’s good to be reminded that these highly urbanized areas can be good sites for collecting, especially if one has an eye out for exotic or disturbance-loving species.

        Ciao,

        Tim

        Timothy D. Hatten, Ph.D.

        CEO, Invertebrate Ecology Inc.