Final Report on Bee Species not Seen in the Last 20 Years

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2010

    All:

    Attached is a report, and an associated Excel file, listing 47 species of bees in Eastern North America that have not been seen during the last 20 years.  The report looks at the geographic and life history patterns associated with these species and makes recommendations for further work.

    Feel free to distribute widely.

    Thanks

             Death is like the insect
             Menacing the tree,
             Competent to kill it,
             But decoyed may be.

              Bait it with the balsam,
             Seek it with the knife,
             Baffle, if it cost you
             Everything in life.

              Then, if it have burrowed
             Out of reach of skill,
             Ring the tree and leave it,--
             'T is the vermin's will.
                    -Dickinson

    P Bees are not optional.
  • Chris McDonald
    Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2010
      All,

      I have been giving talks about what S. California gardeners can do to
      build native bee-friendly landscapes.

      The question I get asked the most is if native bees sting. And I ease
      their fears, but then the follow up question is something like (1) what
      if you are allergic, can a native bee sting cause you to have an
      allergic reaction or worse go into anaphylaxis or (2) how painful is a
      native bee sting?

      (1) Of course there is a ton of information on generic "bee" stings
      (most likely honey bees or misidentified wasps) but I can't find any
      information on native bee stings. Even the medical literature sometimes
      says "bee venom" with no species recorded. What is the reactivity of
      native bee venom if you are allergic to "bee" stings?

      and

      (2) What is the variety of pain felt after being stung by native bees?
      Through personal experience a sting by a native bee is pretty mild, but
      I don't have allergies and have been stung only a few times by a few
      species. Are there some native bee species that can cause a really
      painful sting?

      I'm hoping the sum of our experiences can provide insight.

      My response to date has been that honey bees are built to defend the
      hive and have adaptations for the job, such as potent venom. In contrast
      most native bees are solitary and want to live another day to continue
      reproducing and thus don't need potent venom.

      Thanks in advance for your time,

      Chris

      --
      ---------------------------------
      My office is being remodeled due to water damage.

      Chris McDonald PhD
      Natural Resources Advisor
      Southeastern California
      UC Cooperative Extension
      (909) 387-2242 (not working until late-August)
      (909) 387-3306 fax
    • frozenbeedoc@verizon.net
      Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2010
        Hi Chris,

        Try Justin  Schmidt, retired from ARS Tucson, but I think you may find him at the Desert Museum, Tucson.  He was big on venoms.  It's only one or two components that cause the allergy.  Size of bee probably matters as well.  My response to Africanized (smaller) bee stings is much less than to European.  Venoms are not different.  Cross reactivity from wasps to bees is low.  I had a technician who reacted badly to wasps but not to honey bees.

        I've been stung a lot by honey bees, and the only sting that I've found to be as bad was a bumble bee (in my childhood).  Swelling about the same.  Smaller bees that have stung me were very mild.  Only a few times.  ONe stingless bee in Venezuela packed a nasty bite as she spit acid into the wound.  I've never been stung by a carpenter bee though I have handled a number of live ones, but from the size of the sting, I'd bet it could be painful.

        Rather a bee than a wasp nest!!!!

        Anita