RE: [beemonitoring] Measuring bee body size

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2010

      Ariela- the ocular micrometer of a dissecting microscope is perfect for measuring intertegular span of a bee.  You will first need to calibrate it with a stage micrometer slide, but once done, it is good forever.

      Yours,

      jim

      ===============================

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

      http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane

      Gardening for Native Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

      "The obscure takes time to see,

      but the obvious takes longer"
      Edward R. Murrow

    • ariellag@post.tau.ac.il
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2010
        Hi all

        Thanks a lot for responding to my question on the best way to measure
        body size.
        Sam Droege asked me to summarize your suggestions for the benefit of
        the group, so here they are.

        The 1st one is from Jim Cane:

        The ocular micrometer of a dissecting microscope is perfect for
        measuring intertegular span of a bee. You will first need to
        calibrate it with a stage micrometer slide, but once done, it is good
        forever.

        The 2nd one is from Jack Neff:

        The ocular micrometer in your dissecting scope should work fine for
        measuring trans-tegular distances, especially if it has a relatively
        fine scale. It probably will be better than a digital caliper for
        very small bees. You should remember estimating mass from a single
        body measurement assumes a similarity of shape and you can get
        significant deviations from this when comparing long skinny bees (like
        Chelostoma) with "fat" ones like Xylocopa. In an ideal world, the
        best way to compare size is to actually weigh them.

        The 3rd is from Anita Collins:

        USDA did a lot of bee measuring to identify Africanized specimens vs.
        European. We actually did a dissection and projected a part, such as
        a leg, o n a digital pad. Software was then used to make the actual
        measurement, which was fed directly into a statistical calculation
        based on 10 samples.

        The 4th is from Charlie Guevara:

        Wards Science.com has a slide micrometer for about $15 USD. With that
        and the ocular reticule you already have...you can calibrate various
        'work-horse microscopes you have'. Be careful of using: 'zoom
        magnification adjust' microscopes...you may have trouble knowing
        exactly what magnification your using the ocular reticule (ocular
        micrometer) with...after hours of 'one of a kind/nonrepeatable'
        specimen data record sessions...you may not have exactly the same
        zoom-setting on the scope you’re working with!

        Thank you all

        Ariella