Eliminating bees - a key argument for applying herbicides in New Hampshire

  • Stoner, Kimberly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2010

      Dear Pollinator lists,

      The state legislature in New Hampshire is considering funding a study of “the use of pesticides, herbicides, and their alternatives in residential neighborhoods, school properties, playgrounds, and other places children congregate.”

      And, according to Paul Tukey, a New Hampshire activist, the threat of a study is enough to bring all sorts of pesticide lobbyists to New Hampshire to make sure it doesn’t happen.  Here is Paul’s blog on the subject:

      http://www.safelawns.org/blog/index.php/2010/06/new-hampshire-may-be-poised-to-make-a-major-anti-pesticide-splash-or-maybe-not/

      But here’s the part that is of interest during National Pollinator Week.  I’ll paste Paul’s description of the exchange below:

      From Scott Miracle Gro’s Director of Environmental Stewardship, Chris Wible: “It’s our goal to create a safe, healthy environment for children.”

      As soon as Mr. Wible offered that party line, I asked the committee chair for permission to address him directly. “How does killing a dandelion, a clover plant or a piece of plantain create a safe environment for children?” I asked.

      Without skipping a beat, he calmly explained that dandelions, clover and other weeds attracted bees, and therefore you don’t want those plants around. “My daughter, who is allergic to bees, ought to have the same right to play on the school fields without fear of being stung,” he said. “And the school nurse does not allow her to bring the EpiPen onto the field; she keeps it all the way in her office.”

      I honestly thought the pathologist sitting next to me was going to fall out of his chair on that one. Dr. Jerome Silbert was in town from Connecticut , where he was instrumental in helping to pass the historic Connecticut law banning pesticides around schools in 2005.

      “They should fire the nurse,” he said aloud.

      Happy National Pollinator Week, New Hampshire !

      Kimberly Stoner

      Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

      P.O. Box 1106

      New Haven , CT 06504

      203-974-8480

      Kimberly.Stoner@...