Newish Bee Trap, Demo of inexpensive bee time lapse photography

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2010

      We will be testing a new (for us) bee trap this year.  This involves a large circular pan (e.g., cut out bottom of a bucket), and a plexiglass/lucite upright  baffle, which acts as a window pane style trap.  I have seen several versions of this trap, but to my understanding it hasn't been tested against other traps.

      This will be a simple test with paired traps with and without baffles.

      Also, a friend of mine put together a sample time-lapse video of this trap and posted it at:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHqT0jzx8s

      Not much going on in this video, but you get the point.

      He did this with an inexpensive point and shoot Canon digital camera.

      You can do this too using a free hack available at:

      http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

      Could be useful for many other projects too.

      I would encourage others to experiment with this style trap, I and others have noted that many bees simply "buzz" bowls rather than land in them and this trap, in combination with glycol could be very handy in some locations.

      Had I not seen the Sun
      I could have borne the shade
      But Light a newer Wilderness
      My Wilderness has made -