Re: [beemonitoring] label paper for pinned specimens

  • Liz Day
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2010
      >I received some label paper from BioQuip, but it
      >is beige, not white. when I contacted them, they responded:
      >"HI the paper is off white ledger paper that is
      >the only label paper we sell and this is the
      >first I have heard of this problem. "
      >
      >Has anyone ever seen beige insect labels? My
      >problem is that I am at a field station and
      >can't get other paper in time to label the
      >hundreds of bees we are collecting.

      I thought the important thing was whether or not
      the paper was acid-free/archival. Is that not
      being used as a standard any more?
      (I suppose that in 80-100 years, the world may
      have other problems than the disintegration of
      thousands of insect labels, but the percent cost
      of labelling that is the paper seems small to me, so I use it.)

      cheers,
      Liz

      Liz Day
      Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
      (40 N, 86 W; USDA zone 5b)
      www.kiva.net/~daylight
    • H
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2010
        My recommendation is to first ask the copy center at the University if
        they can supply a 40 to 60 lb. 100% cotton fiber paper - Also,
        archival paper is a neutral pH [between 7 and 8.5 or termed
        "acid-free"]. There are plenty of sources of white, archival paper.

        Manufacturers of acid-free paper can indicate the compliance of their
        product with the test requirements of the ISO 9706 or ANSI Z39.48-1992
        standards using a circled infinity symbol (Unicode code point 267E, ♾)

        ANSI NISO Standard Z39.48-1984 - Permanence of Paper for Publications
        and Documents in Libraries, 1984
        best,

        HW Ikerd
        Hikerd@...
        435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
        435-797-2425(work)

      • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2010
          To the list:

          Thanks to all who sent information on white acid-free paper.

          Barb

          Barbara J Abraham, PhD
          Dept. of Biological Sciences
          Hampton University