Re: [beemonitoring] label paper for pinned specimens

  • frozenbeedoc@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2010
      Hi Barbara,

      I go tmy paper at a regular office supply place.  It's not sectioned to tag size, but they had the right weight.  Ask Sam, I'm on the road and just don't remember offhand.  It seems to work fine with the labeling software, but you do have to cut by hand.

      Anita Collins

      On May 28, 2010, barbara.abraham@... wrote:

      All,
      I received some label paper from BioQuip, but it is beige, not white.  when I contacted them, they responded:
      "HI the paper is off white ledger paper that is the only label paper we sell and this is the first I have heard of this problem. "

      Has anyone ever seen beige insect labels?  My problem is that I am at a field station and can't get other paper in time to label the hundreds of bees we are collecting.

      Does anyone have a better source of label paper (for next year)?

      Thanks!

      Barb

      Barbara J Abraham, PhD

      Associate Professor

      Department of Biological Sciences

      Hampton University

      Hampton, VA 23668

      barbara.abraham@...

    • Liz Day
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2010
        >I received some label paper from BioQuip, but it
        >is beige, not white. when I contacted them, they responded:
        >"HI the paper is off white ledger paper that is
        >the only label paper we sell and this is the
        >first I have heard of this problem. "
        >
        >Has anyone ever seen beige insect labels? My
        >problem is that I am at a field station and
        >can't get other paper in time to label the
        >hundreds of bees we are collecting.

        I thought the important thing was whether or not
        the paper was acid-free/archival. Is that not
        being used as a standard any more?
        (I suppose that in 80-100 years, the world may
        have other problems than the disintegration of
        thousands of insect labels, but the percent cost
        of labelling that is the paper seems small to me, so I use it.)

        cheers,
        Liz

        Liz Day
        Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
        (40 N, 86 W; USDA zone 5b)
        www.kiva.net/~daylight
      • H
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2010
          My recommendation is to first ask the copy center at the University if
          they can supply a 40 to 60 lb. 100% cotton fiber paper - Also,
          archival paper is a neutral pH [between 7 and 8.5 or termed
          "acid-free"]. There are plenty of sources of white, archival paper.

          Manufacturers of acid-free paper can indicate the compliance of their
          product with the test requirements of the ISO 9706 or ANSI Z39.48-1992
          standards using a circled infinity symbol (Unicode code point 267E, ♾)

          ANSI NISO Standard Z39.48-1984 - Permanence of Paper for Publications
          and Documents in Libraries, 1984
          best,

          HW Ikerd
          Hikerd@...
          435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
          435-797-2425(work)

        • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2010
            To the list:

            Thanks to all who sent information on white acid-free paper.

            Barb

            Barbara J Abraham, PhD
            Dept. of Biological Sciences
            Hampton University