label paper for pinned specimens

  • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2010
      All,

      I received some label paper from BioQuip, but it is beige, not white.  when I contacted them, they responded:
      "HI the paper is off white ledger paper that is the only label paper we sell and this is the first I have heard of this problem. "

      Has anyone ever seen beige insect labels?  My problem is that I am at a field station and can't get other paper in time to label the hundreds of bees we are collecting.

      Does anyone have a better source of label paper (for next year)?

      Thanks!

      Barb

      Barbara J Abraham, PhD

      Associate Professor

      Department of Biological Sciences

      Hampton University

      Hampton, VA 23668

      barbara.abraham@...

    • frozenbeedoc@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2010
        Hi Barbara,

        I go tmy paper at a regular office supply place.  It's not sectioned to tag size, but they had the right weight.  Ask Sam, I'm on the road and just don't remember offhand.  It seems to work fine with the labeling software, but you do have to cut by hand.

        Anita Collins

        On May 28, 2010, barbara.abraham@... wrote:

        All,
        I received some label paper from BioQuip, but it is beige, not white.  when I contacted them, they responded:
        "HI the paper is off white ledger paper that is the only label paper we sell and this is the first I have heard of this problem. "

        Has anyone ever seen beige insect labels?  My problem is that I am at a field station and can't get other paper in time to label the hundreds of bees we are collecting.

        Does anyone have a better source of label paper (for next year)?

        Thanks!

        Barb

        Barbara J Abraham, PhD

        Associate Professor

        Department of Biological Sciences

        Hampton University

        Hampton, VA 23668

        barbara.abraham@...

      • Liz Day
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2010
          >I received some label paper from BioQuip, but it
          >is beige, not white. when I contacted them, they responded:
          >"HI the paper is off white ledger paper that is
          >the only label paper we sell and this is the
          >first I have heard of this problem. "
          >
          >Has anyone ever seen beige insect labels? My
          >problem is that I am at a field station and
          >can't get other paper in time to label the
          >hundreds of bees we are collecting.

          I thought the important thing was whether or not
          the paper was acid-free/archival. Is that not
          being used as a standard any more?
          (I suppose that in 80-100 years, the world may
          have other problems than the disintegration of
          thousands of insect labels, but the percent cost
          of labelling that is the paper seems small to me, so I use it.)

          cheers,
          Liz

          Liz Day
          Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
          (40 N, 86 W; USDA zone 5b)
          www.kiva.net/~daylight
        • H
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2010
            My recommendation is to first ask the copy center at the University if
            they can supply a 40 to 60 lb. 100% cotton fiber paper - Also,
            archival paper is a neutral pH [between 7 and 8.5 or termed
            "acid-free"]. There are plenty of sources of white, archival paper.

            Manufacturers of acid-free paper can indicate the compliance of their
            product with the test requirements of the ISO 9706 or ANSI Z39.48-1992
            standards using a circled infinity symbol (Unicode code point 267E, ♾)

            ANSI NISO Standard Z39.48-1984 - Permanence of Paper for Publications
            and Documents in Libraries, 1984
            best,

            HW Ikerd
            Hikerd@...
            435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
            435-797-2425(work)

            Message 5 of 5 , May 28, 2010
              To the list:

              Thanks to all who sent information on white acid-free paper.

              Barb

              Barbara J Abraham, PhD
              Dept. of Biological Sciences
              Hampton University