Re: [beemonitoring] Height-adjustable Bee Bowl Traps

  • Zak Gezon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13 6:52 PM
      Hello Everyone,

      I am catching bees in a seasonal marsh in Costa Rica. I had to come up
      with something similar to Alex to solve a slightly different problem.
      When I started sampling the marsh was bone dry, but before long the
      water level started to rise, so I made PVC platforms for the bee bowls
      as you can see in the attached photos. The platform itself is made of
      fine mesh so that if a sudden rain overflows the bowls anything caught
      up until that point will be caught in the mesh. When the marsh water
      level is really low (and therefore the platform is high above the
      water surface) the wind can whip the platforms a bit, which is a
      problem, so I have been thinking about drilling the T joint all the
      way through so the platform would slide down the PVC pole, and adding
      a wingnut to the platform so that the height would be easily
      adjustable. I added velcro to the platform mesh and to the bottom of
      the bee bowls to ensure I don't loose and bowls due to wind. One
      problem I have had is that sometimes birds land on the platforms and
      slosh all the soapy water out. I don't have a solution to that
      problem yet, but I have only seen it happen twice and I don't think it
      has been a major issue.

      In any case, the platforms were pretty simple to make, are very easy
      to transport, are (hopefully) durable and didn't cost an arm and a
      leg.

      I hope this is useful, I would love to hear suggestions and feedback.

      Take it easy, happy bee catching,

      Zak

      --
      Zak Gezon