pinning technique tidbit

  • Zarrillo, Tracy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2010

      Good afternoon everyone,

      I wanted to share my most recent illumination with a problem I was having…I used to get very frustrated when, after spending the time to dry my bees thoroughly, I would put a pin through the scutum only to have internal fluids ooze out at the point of puncture, thus ruining their appearance.  I now place my hairiest specimens , esp. Bombus, into a chlorocresol humidor for about a week before pinning.  This way they remain pliable, however, they dry up enough to pin without oozing.  I hope this info helps someone else out there who may have had similar experiences.

      Kindest regards to all,

      Tracy

      Tracy Zarrillo

      The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

      Department of Entomology

      123 Huntington Street

      New Haven, CT 06504-1106

      PH:  203-974-8473