Re: [beemonitoring] Styrofoam bowls/cups appear to greatly decrease catch of bees

  • H
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
    Sam/all-

    While I didn't feel this was complete enough to share, the electrons zipping around in cyberspace have aliened thus giving me the impetus...

    There are three graphs [blue, yellow, white] with % reflectance on the Y-axis and wavelength on the X-axis.

    Notes on the types of bowls tested.
    1 Year old bowls - 45+ days in full sun. Made by Sam's technicians a few years ago using special paint on White Plastic Solo cups.

    New translucent Plastic Solo cups with Krylon "fusion" white paint, Krylon Florescent Yellow and Krylon Florescent Blue. % Reflectance was taken on new bowls with soapy water and dry.

    The green lines on the graphs represent the " {lambda}max values at 348nm (ultraviolet receptor), 436nm (blue receptor) and 572nm (green receptor)" for Osmia rufa by Menzel et.al in 1988.

    Lines and points on the graphs are as follows:
    Green:Old
    Red:New bowls filled with soapy water
    Blue:New bowls left dry

    Enjoy,

    HW Ikerd
    Hikerd@...
    435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
    435-797-2425(work)

    On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

    All:

    We have continued to test out long-term traps using glycol and one possibility was to use Styrofoam cups (Cheap, environmentally a bit greener).  Well after noticing that catch seemed subpar we tested cups vs our small bowls and the small bowls clearly caught more....we also tested for a glycol/ soapy water effect and found none.  My first thought was that the height of the cup was the problem, however, we just finished a test today with some surprising results (to me).  We sliced the Styrofoam cups down to the same size (Thanks for the idea Alex Surcica) and put them into the experiment below....results are very clear, but the interpretation is a bit fuzzy.  Bottomline...don't use Styrofoam.

    Location: Beltsville, MD
    Start
    : Noon April 1
    End
    : 9:30 a.m. April 2
    Habitat
    : Bottomland Mixed forest with many spring beauties (Claytonia) in bloom
    Bees
    : Osmia, Andrena, Nomada
    Experiment
    : 21 bowls each of 3.25 ounce white solo brand bowls and similar sized cut down Styrofoam cups, the two types were alternated in a transect through the woods and placed 5 m apart.

    Results below are Styrofoam in the left column and solo in the right column. They are presented as pairs, but in reality they are simply adjacent to one another (5m apart) in the transect. Numbers are total number of bees.

    Helping on the this experiment were Molly Passacantando and Lisa Guide (Many thanks).

    Styro
    Solo
    9
    18
    2
    3
    1
    8
    1
    7
    0
    4
    0
    5
    1
    6
    0
    8
    3
    2
    5
    12
    3
    8
    0
    5
    2
    15
    1
    11
    0
    17
    n/a
    15
    1
    3
    0
    10
    3
    19
    5
    21
    7
    18
    Totals
    44
    215

    Results are extremely clear. Styrofoam captures are much less. Totals are much lower and in adjacent bowls capture in Styrofoam is always lower.

    Not sure why, both are bright white....possibly bees can climb out of Styrofoam more easily, but no sign of soggy bees on or near the cups.

    Some Glad Morning

    One day, something very old
    happened again. The green
    came back to the branches,
    settling like leafy birds
    on the highest twigs;
    the ground broke open
    as dark as coffee beans.

    The clouds took up their
    positions in the deep stadium
    of the sky, gloving the
    bright orb of the sun
    before they pitched it
    over the horizon.

    It was as good as ever:
    the air was filled
    with the scent of lilac
    s and cherry blossoms
    sounded their long
    whistle down the track
    It was some glad morning.

    - Joyce Sutphen

    P Bees are not optional.

  • Zarrillo, Tracy
    Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2010

      Good morning everyone,

      I just recently ordered a case of 1,000 5 oz. white plastic bowls from The Eastern Bag and Paper Company for $28.79.

      Product # 069307043, Manufacturer’s # 81205

      The bowl size is slightly larger, but with all the rain we got last year, we figured it might help with overflow.

      Http://www.easternbag.com/images/EBCatalog05.pdf

      The item is on page 27 in the catalog.

      Tracy Zarrillo

      Tracy Zarrillo

      The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

      Department of Entomology

      123 Huntington Street

      New Haven, CT 06504-1106

      PH:  203-974-8473