Re: [beemonitoring] Styrofoam bowls/cups appear to greatly decrease catch of bees

  • nancy lee adamson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
      http://www.amazon.com/2-Ounce-Plastic-Portion-250-Count-Packages/dp/B0014HEDFQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1270224363&sr=1-8

      On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM, <barbara.abraham@...> wrote:

      All,

      Apologies if this information has already been disseminated.  I  contacted the Solo cup company, but they told me I would have to find somebody else who sold their white soufflé cups, as they only sold them in batches of 5 cases of 2500 cups in each case.

      Does anyone know where I could purchase about 500 (or 1000 at the most) – without having to call or drive to every business in the area?

      Thanks.

      Barb

      Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor

      SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

      Department of Biological Sciences

      Hampton University

      Hampton, VA  23668

      757-727-5283

      barbara.abraham@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010

        Note that the link is for the same model, but transluscent....

        So any easy way around Barabara's problem is to buy the "bee" paint from Geuerra, but get some additional White base paint and paint your own bowls white.

        sam

        P Bees are not optional.

        From:nancy lee adamson <nladamson@...>
        To:barbara.abraham@..., beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        Date:04/02/2010 12:07 PM
        Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        Sam Droege
        sdroege@...

[...]

      • Eugene J. Scarpulla
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
          Sam,

          I wonder if the difference is due to the off-gassing of the Styrofoam which might act as a repellent.

          Gene

          Gene Scarpulla
          Millers Island, Maryland
          Editor, The Maryland Entomologist
          ejscarp@...

          Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
          Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

          Some Glad Morning

          One day, something very old
          happened again. The green
          came back to the branches,
          settling like leafy birds
          on the highest twigs;
          the ground broke open
          as dark as coffee beans.

          The clouds took up their
          positions in the deep stadium
          of the sky, gloving the
          bright orb of the sun
          before they pitched it
          over the horizon.

          It was as good as ever:
          the air was filled
          with the scent of lilac
          s and cherry blossoms
          sounded their long
          whistle down the track
          It was some glad morning.

          - Joyce Sutphen

          P Bees are not optional.

        • H
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
          Sam/all-

          While I didn't feel this was complete enough to share, the electrons zipping around in cyberspace have aliened thus giving me the impetus...

          There are three graphs [blue, yellow, white] with % reflectance on the Y-axis and wavelength on the X-axis.

          Notes on the types of bowls tested.
          1 Year old bowls - 45+ days in full sun. Made by Sam's technicians a few years ago using special paint on White Plastic Solo cups.

          New translucent Plastic Solo cups with Krylon "fusion" white paint, Krylon Florescent Yellow and Krylon Florescent Blue. % Reflectance was taken on new bowls with soapy water and dry.

          The green lines on the graphs represent the " {lambda}max values at 348nm (ultraviolet receptor), 436nm (blue receptor) and 572nm (green receptor)" for Osmia rufa by Menzel et.al in 1988.

          Lines and points on the graphs are as follows:
          Green:Old
          Red:New bowls filled with soapy water
          Blue:New bowls left dry

          Enjoy,

          HW Ikerd
          Hikerd@...
          435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
          435-797-2425(work)

        • Zarrillo, Tracy
          Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2010

            Good morning everyone,

            I just recently ordered a case of 1,000 5 oz. white plastic bowls from The Eastern Bag and Paper Company for $28.79.

            Product # 069307043, Manufacturer’s # 81205

            The bowl size is slightly larger, but with all the rain we got last year, we figured it might help with overflow.

            Http://www.easternbag.com/images/EBCatalog05.pdf

            The item is on page 27 in the catalog.

            Tracy Zarrillo

            Tracy Zarrillo

            The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

            Department of Entomology

            123 Huntington Street

            New Haven, CT 06504-1106

            PH:  203-974-8473

            Note that the link is for the same model, but transluscent. ...

            So any easy way around Barabara's problem is to buy the "bee" paint from Geuerra, but get some additional White base paint and paint your own bowls white.

            sam

            P Bees are not optional.

            nancy lee adamson <nladamson@gmail. com>

            barbara.abraham@ hamptonu. edu, beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com