RE: [beemonitoring] Styrofoam bowls/cups appear to greatly decrease catch of bees

  • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010

      All,

      Apologies if this information has already been disseminated.  I  contacted the Solo cup company, but they told me I would have to find somebody else who sold their white soufflé cups, as they only sold them in batches of 5 cases of 2500 cups in each case.

      Does anyone know where I could purchase about 500 (or 1000 at the most) – without having to call or drive to every business in the area?

      Thanks.

      Barb

      Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor

      SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

      Department of Biological Sciences

      Hampton University

      Hampton, VA  23668

      757-727-5283

      barbara.abraham@...

[...]

        Entomology Graduate Student
        216A Price Hall (MC0319)
        Virginia Tech
        Blacksburg, VA 24061
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010

          Note that the link is for the same model, but transluscent....

          So any easy way around Barabara's problem is to buy the "bee" paint from Geuerra, but get some additional White base paint and paint your own bowls white.

          sam

          P Bees are not optional.

          From:nancy lee adamson <nladamson@...>
          To:barbara.abraham@..., beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          Date:04/02/2010 12:07 PM
          Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          Sam Droege
          sdroege@...

[...]

        • Eugene J. Scarpulla
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
            Sam,

            I wonder if the difference is due to the off-gassing of the Styrofoam which might act as a repellent.

            Gene

            Gene Scarpulla
            Millers Island, Maryland
            Editor, The Maryland Entomologist
            ejscarp@...

            Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
            Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

            Some Glad Morning

            One day, something very old
            happened again. The green
            came back to the branches,
            settling like leafy birds
            on the highest twigs;
            the ground broke open
            as dark as coffee beans.

            The clouds took up their
            positions in the deep stadium
            of the sky, gloving the
            bright orb of the sun
            before they pitched it
            over the horizon.

            It was as good as ever:
            the air was filled
            with the scent of lilac
            s and cherry blossoms
            sounded their long
            whistle down the track
            It was some glad morning.

            - Joyce Sutphen

            P Bees are not optional.

          • H
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
            Sam/all-

            While I didn't feel this was complete enough to share, the electrons zipping around in cyberspace have aliened thus giving me the impetus...

            There are three graphs [blue, yellow, white] with % reflectance on the Y-axis and wavelength on the X-axis.

            Notes on the types of bowls tested.
            1 Year old bowls - 45+ days in full sun. Made by Sam's technicians a few years ago using special paint on White Plastic Solo cups.

            New translucent Plastic Solo cups with Krylon "fusion" white paint, Krylon Florescent Yellow and Krylon Florescent Blue. % Reflectance was taken on new bowls with soapy water and dry.

            The green lines on the graphs represent the " {lambda}max values at 348nm (ultraviolet receptor), 436nm (blue receptor) and 572nm (green receptor)" for Osmia rufa by Menzel et.al in 1988.

            Lines and points on the graphs are as follows:
            Green:Old
            Red:New bowls filled with soapy water
            Blue:New bowls left dry

            Enjoy,

            HW Ikerd
            Hikerd@...
            435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
            435-797-2425(work)

          • Zarrillo, Tracy
            Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2010

              Good morning everyone,

              I just recently ordered a case of 1,000 5 oz. white plastic bowls from The Eastern Bag and Paper Company for $28.79.

              Product # 069307043, Manufacturer’s # 81205

              The bowl size is slightly larger, but with all the rain we got last year, we figured it might help with overflow.

              Http://www.easternbag.com/images/EBCatalog05.pdf

              The item is on page 27 in the catalog.

              Tracy Zarrillo

              Tracy Zarrillo

              The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

              Department of Entomology

              123 Huntington Street

              New Haven, CT 06504-1106

              PH:  203-974-8473

              Note that the link is for the same model, but transluscent. ...

              So any easy way around Barabara's problem is to buy the "bee" paint from Geuerra, but get some additional White base paint and paint your own bowls white.

              sam

              P Bees are not optional.

              nancy lee adamson <nladamson@gmail. com>

              barbara.abraham@ hamptonu. edu, beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com