Styrofoam bowls/cups appear to greatly decrease catch of bees

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010

      We have continued to test out long-term traps using glycol and one possibility was to use Styrofoam cups (Cheap, environmentally a bit greener).  Well after noticing that catch seemed subpar we tested cups vs our small bowls and the small bowls clearly caught more....we also tested for a glycol/ soapy water effect and found none.  My first thought was that the height of the cup was the problem, however, we just finished a test today with some surprising results (to me).  We sliced the Styrofoam cups down to the same size (Thanks for the idea Alex Surcica) and put them into the experiment below....results are very clear, but the interpretation is a bit fuzzy.  Bottomline...don't use Styrofoam.

      Location: Beltsville, MD
      Start
      : Noon April 1
      End
      : 9:30 a.m. April 2
      Habitat
      : Bottomland Mixed forest with many spring beauties (Claytonia) in bloom
      Bees
      : Osmia, Andrena, Nomada
      Experiment
      : 21 bowls each of 3.25 ounce white solo brand bowls and similar sized cut down Styrofoam cups, the two types were alternated in a transect through the woods and placed 5 m apart.

      Results below are Styrofoam in the left column and solo in the right column. They are presented as pairs, but in reality they are simply adjacent to one another (5m apart) in the transect. Numbers are total number of bees.

      Helping on the this experiment were Molly Passacantando and Lisa Guide (Many thanks).
      Styro
      Solo
      9
      18
      2
      3
      1
      8
      1
      7
      0
      4
      0
      5
      1
      6
      0
      8
      3
      2
      5
      12
      3
      8
      0
      5
      2
      15
      1
      11
      0
      17
      n/a
      15
      1
      3
      0
      10
      3
      19
      5
      21
      7
      18
      Totals
      44
      215

      Results are extremely clear. Styrofoam captures are much less. Totals are much lower and in adjacent bowls capture in Styrofoam is always lower.

      Not sure why, both are bright white....possibly bees can climb out of Styrofoam more easily, but no sign of soggy bees on or near the cups.

      Some Glad Morning

      One day, something very old
      happened again. The green
      came back to the branches,
      settling like leafy birds
      on the highest twigs;
      the ground broke open
      as dark as coffee beans.

      The clouds took up their
      positions in the deep stadium
      of the sky, gloving the
      bright orb of the sun
      before they pitched it
      over the horizon.

      It was as good as ever:
      the air was filled
      with the scent of lilac
      s and cherry blossoms
      sounded their long
      whistle down the track
      It was some glad morning.

      - Joyce Sutphen

      P Bees are not optional.
    • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010

        All,

        Apologies if this information has already been disseminated.  I  contacted the Solo cup company, but they told me I would have to find somebody else who sold their white soufflé cups, as they only sold them in batches of 5 cases of 2500 cups in each case.

        Does anyone know where I could purchase about 500 (or 1000 at the most) – without having to call or drive to every business in the area?

        Thanks.

        Barb

        Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

        Associate Professor

        SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

        Department of Biological Sciences

        Hampton University

        Hampton, VA  23668

        757-727-5283

        barbara.abraham@...

[...]

          Entomology Graduate Student
          216A Price Hall (MC0319)
          Virginia Tech
          Blacksburg, VA 24061
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010

            Note that the link is for the same model, but transluscent....

            So any easy way around Barabara's problem is to buy the "bee" paint from Geuerra, but get some additional White base paint and paint your own bowls white.

            sam

            P Bees are not optional.

            From:nancy lee adamson <nladamson@...>
            To:barbara.abraham@..., beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            Date:04/02/2010 12:07 PM
            Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

[...]

            [beemonitoring] Styrofoam bowls/cups appear to greatly decrease catch of bees

            All:

[...]

            Sam Droege
            sdroege@...

[...]

          • Eugene J. Scarpulla
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
              Sam,

              I wonder if the difference is due to the off-gassing of the Styrofoam which might act as a repellent.

              Gene

              Gene Scarpulla
              Millers Island, Maryland
              Editor, The Maryland Entomologist
              ejscarp@...

              Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
              Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

              Some Glad Morning

              One day, something very old
              happened again. The green
              came back to the branches,
              settling like leafy birds
              on the highest twigs;
              the ground broke open
              as dark as coffee beans.

              The clouds took up their
              positions in the deep stadium
              of the sky, gloving the
              bright orb of the sun
              before they pitched it
              over the horizon.

              It was as good as ever:
              the air was filled
              with the scent of lilac
              s and cherry blossoms
              sounded their long
              whistle down the track
              It was some glad morning.

              - Joyce Sutphen

              P Bees are not optional.

            • H
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
              Sam/all-

              While I didn't feel this was complete enough to share, the electrons zipping around in cyberspace have aliened thus giving me the impetus...

              There are three graphs [blue, yellow, white] with % reflectance on the Y-axis and wavelength on the X-axis.

              Notes on the types of bowls tested.
              1 Year old bowls - 45+ days in full sun. Made by Sam's technicians a few years ago using special paint on White Plastic Solo cups.

              New translucent Plastic Solo cups with Krylon "fusion" white paint, Krylon Florescent Yellow and Krylon Florescent Blue. % Reflectance was taken on new bowls with soapy water and dry.

              The green lines on the graphs represent the " {lambda}max values at 348nm (ultraviolet receptor), 436nm (blue receptor) and 572nm (green receptor)" for Osmia rufa by Menzel et.al in 1988.

              Lines and points on the graphs are as follows:
              Green:Old
              Red:New bowls filled with soapy water
              Blue:New bowls left dry

              Enjoy,

              HW Ikerd
              Hikerd@...
              435-227-5711 (Google Voice)
              435-797-2425(work)

              All:

            • Zarrillo, Tracy
              Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2010

                Good morning everyone,

                I just recently ordered a case of 1,000 5 oz. white plastic bowls from The Eastern Bag and Paper Company for $28.79.

                Product # 069307043, Manufacturer’s # 81205

                The bowl size is slightly larger, but with all the rain we got last year, we figured it might help with overflow.

                Http://www.easternbag.com/images/EBCatalog05.pdf

                The item is on page 27 in the catalog.

                Tracy Zarrillo

                Tracy Zarrillo

                The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

                Department of Entomology

                123 Huntington Street

                New Haven, CT 06504-1106

                PH:  203-974-8473

                Note that the link is for the same model, but transluscent. ...

                So any easy way around Barabara's problem is to buy the "bee" paint from Geuerra, but get some additional White base paint and paint your own bowls white.

                sam

                P Bees are not optional.

                nancy lee adamson <nladamson@gmail. com>

                barbara.abraham@ hamptonu. edu, beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

                04/02/2010 12:07 PM

                Re: [beemonitoring] Styrofoam bowls/cups appear to greatly decrease         catch of bees