Volunteer Bee Opportunities in Maryland

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2010

      Hello all,

      I hope this email finds everyone well.  My name is Jen Frye and I am a biologist at the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in the Natural Heritage Program.  One of my primary responsibilities is to keep tabs on rare invertebrates in the state - we assign ranks to species which indicate how common or rare they are.  Currently, none of the bees in Maryland are ranked, but we would like to change this by increasing our understanding of exactly what's out there.  To do this, we need to collect some additional information on the distribution of species within the state.
       Maryland DNR has teamed up with the USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Refuge in an attempting to gather this additional information, but we need lots of help!

      Right now, we have some really great data on a handful of sites in Maryland, but there are large gaps in the data.  Some areas of the state have been surveyed very little and others not at all.  I am looking for volunteers who are interested in putting out bee bowls in various areas of the state.  While I do have a list of sites where we would like to collect data, I am just as happy for people to put out bowls in their own backyards.  No need to worry right now about the processing or species-level identification - we just need some collectors.  If anyone is up for it or knows someone who might be, please feel free to contact me directly at <
      jfrye@...>, or give me a call at 410-827-8612 x102.  I can provide bee bowls, whirl packs and of course, additional details.

      Thanks very much!

      Sincerely,

      Jen Frye