Re: Mead's milkweed research

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2010
      Dear Dr. Kettle:

      Thanks you for the message.  I am sending a copy of it to the members of NAPPC (North American Pollinator Protection Campaign).  Dr. Meier and I are members.  Some members of the new "Mead's Milkweed Kansas Consortium" may also want to visit the NAPPC website or network with members as a number of us are systematic entomologists and/or pollination biologists.  NAPPC members need to learn more about Acsclepias meadii and why this species is important to prairie conservation efforts.

      Peter Bernhardt

      On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Kettle, Dean <kettle@...> wrote:

      Dear Mead’s Milkweed Enthusiasts,

      Several people at the University of Kansas are working on various aspects of Mead’s milkweed including population biology, census methods, inventory, insect herbivory, and other facets of this intriguing plant. To our delight, we have recently found that Drs. Peter Bernhardt and Retha Meier of Saint Louis University will be coming to the Anderson County Prairie Preserve this summer to begin a 3-year study looking at pollination ecology of Mead’s milkweed (the title of their grant is “Investigation and detection of infertility factors in populations of Mead’s milkweed (Asclepias meadii).”

      Helen, Peter, Retha and I have agreed that because of the diverse research efforts underway, it might be helpful to put people in touch with one another. This may have practical benefits (e.g., phenological observations, or species identifications) but more importantly may provide fruitful opportunity to informally discuss ecological research and observations.

      To that end this email is just an introduction of an informal email group discussing Mead's milkweed research in Kansas (or elsewhere). No one has any obligation, but if you'd like to share what you are doing that could be helpful.  For example, people may want to write up a short description of their work and email it to everyone.  It might also help if you briefly note what your situation is (i.e. are you a professor, student, or other?), where your work is based (Anderson Co., Rockefeller prairie, or other?), and whether your study is likely to be a single summer study or a multiple year study.  It is also fine if anyone wants to share an abstract for a meeting or a grant proposal.  Several of the people in this email are KU land stewards, TNC personnel, and others who may not be actively conducting research on Mead’s milkweed, but who certainly want to be knowledgeable of ongoing work. Again, no need to do anything at all, but perhaps this communication will help us all get to know each other a bit. Feel free to forward this to others.

      Thanks,

      Dean

      W. Dean Kettle, Ph.D.

      Associate Director, University of Kansas Field Station

      Kansas Biological Survey

      2101 Constant Avenue

      Lawrence, KS 66047-3759

      Office phone: 785-864-1540