Program MONITOR.EXE Windows version released for Sample Size Estimation

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2010

      The announcement below  was just sent to my by James Gibbs.  I have used versions of the program below for over 10 years now and this latest version is even more useful and user friendly.  Its been a big help in our work setting sample sizes for all sorts of monitoring programs.

      Queries should go directly to James Gibbs jpgibbs@...

      sam

      Sam Droege

      Excuse my wandering.
      How can one be orderly with this?
      It's like counting leaves in a garden,
      along with the sound notes of partridges,
      and crows.
      Sometimes organization
      and computation become absurd.
                         Rumi

      A Windows version of Program MONITOR is now available at:

      http://www.esf.edu/efb/gibbs/monitor/

      Program MONITOR uses simulation procedures to estimate the statistical power of ecological monitoring programs.  Because many design variables interact to determine the capacity of a monitoring program to detect trends, intuitive answers are elusive for such basic questions as: "How many plots should I monitor?" or "How often should I conduct surveys?" or "For how long should I monitor?"

      The specific components of sampling design that program MONITOR integrates are:
      • Number of plots monitored
      • Frequency of plot re-measurement each season
      • Occasions of plot surveys through time
      • Magnitude of measurement values on each plot
      • Variation in measurements on each plot (all sources of variation pooled together, or within- ("sampling") and between-season ("process") variation partitioned separately)
      • Magnitude of ongoing population trends
      • Significance level associated with trend detection
      • Number of tails considered in statistical tests of trend significance
      • Data type: Normally distributed and log-normally distributed or presence/absence
      • Pattern of variation in the relationship of magnitude of measurements versus their variance over time (coefficient of variation constant versus proportional to the mean measurement)
      • Whole versus fractional measures (rounding)
      • Measurement truncation
      • Data type: Presence/absence

      Most users will apply Program MONITOR to population monitoring but the program is applicable to any designing monitoring programs for any index measured over time and space.  Program MONITOR can be used to find an optimal sampling design once you have declared desired power levels and maximum sampling effort you are willing to undertake.  The program also is a useful tool for teaching students about trend detection and sampling design.