Oh, yes, the parchment paper

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2010

      I forgot to mention in the BIML update that our new favorite pinning tool is parchment paper.

      Parchment paper is something rather new (at least to me) that is used in cooking.  Its a silicone impregnated piece of paper that can withstand the heat of an oven but is super slick (and theoretically nontoxic, but that's what they said about DDT).  In any case, when we are pinning bees, we now like to use glue gels which have a longer work time and dry crystal clear (and also are easily reversible).  However this requires laying the pin with glue on it on the insect while it is lying down and at times glue gets on the substrate they are lying on and the specimen pulls off when you pick it up.  Parchment paper alleviates much of that problem as glue doesn't stick well to it at all.  Another nice thing is that you can put dried specimens on the paper and they will easily slide around without sticking and breaking, so they are easy to position.  We now dump dried specimens onto the paper, pull up the sides which causes the specimens to slide into the center and then use the fact that all the specimens are in a line to more rapidly pin them.  The paper is placed or pined to a large foam board so you can press the tip of the pin and cause the specimen to rise up so you can pick it up...obviously we will have to have a video about this to make it all clear.  The also make silicone flexible baking sheets that are reusable, but we haven't tried them yet.

      Bon Appetit!

      The Traveling Onion

      When I think how far the onion has traveled
      just to enter my stew today, I c
      crackly paper peeling on the drainboard,
      pearly layers in smooth agreement,
      the way knife enters onion
      and onion falls apart on the chopping block,
      a history revealed.

      And I would never scold the onion
      for causing tears.
      It is right that tears fall
      for something small and forgotten.
      How at meal, we sit to eat,
      commenting on texture of meat or herbal aroma
      but never on the translucence of onion,
      now limp, now divided
      or its traditionally honorable career:
      For the sake of others,
      disappear.

         - Naomi Shihab Nye

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2010

        Hi Tracy:

        I use Elmer's Paper Craft Glue Gel

        Here is the MSDS sheet for the product

        http://www.elmers.com/msds/me433_c.htm

        Here is what the Elmer's Site says:

        Craft Bond Paper Craft Clear Gel
        Product Description
        Specifically formulated for paper crafting. Provides a fast tack that dries clear and dows not run. Resists bleed-through with most papers.

        I have also used school gel from the drugstore...with similar results...

        Charlie Smith, The Mandolin Player,
        Reveals an Unexpected Streak of Cruelty
        Toward Boxelder Bugs,
        But Takes two of the Three
        Steps Necessary for Attaining
        Full Moral
        Consciousness

        At school we glued up
        their wings and set them on fire.
        God, we were awful!

        II

        No,merely human...
        Awful is much too easy
        a consolation

            - Bill Holm

        P Bees are not optional.

        From:"Zarrillo, Tracy" <Tracy.Zarrillo@...>
        To:"Sam Droege" <sdroege@...>
        Date:03/15/2010 09:19 AM
        Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] Oh, yes, the parchment paper

        Hi Sam and others,

        I was wondering what is your favorite type of glue gel?

        Thanks,
        Tracy Zarrillo

        Tracy Zarrillo
        The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
        Department of Entomology
        123 Huntington Street
        New Haven, CT 06504-1106
        PH:  203-974-8473