Re: [beemonitoring] 74 Missing Native Bee Species - Not Seen in the Past 20 Years

  • T'ai Roulston
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
      Sam:

      I think it's great you put this together. I don't know of sightings of the others, but Jim Cane's 1997 manuscript should take Hesperapis oraria off your list.

      Cane JH. 1997. Violent weather and bees: Populations of the Barrier Island endemic, Hesperapis oraria (Hymenoptera: Melittidae) survive a category 3 hurricane. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, 70: 73-75.

      T'ai

      On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Sam Droege wrote:

      All:

      Below is a list which contains the names of 74 species that are known to have occurred East of the Mississippi River in the U.S. and Canada at some point (you will just have to imagine that the Mississippi gets up to Canada)  that a group of active collectors have not seen in the past 20 years.

      The following individuals contributed to that list:

      Mike Arduser
      John Ascher
      Sheila Colla
      Sam Droege
      Jason Gibbs
      Terry Griswold
      Harold Ikerd
      Rob Jean
      Jack Neff
      Molly Rightmyer
      Cory Sheffield
      Michael Veit

      We are looking for anyone with ANY records for any of these species from ANYWHERE during the past 20 years.   Its fine if those records are from Western North America.  Note that we are starting with Eastern species simply because we are more familiar with that group and there are fewer species involved (approximately 775).  Some of the species and names below come from groups that have taxonomic difficulties so the presence of their name here may simply be the result of lack of recent revisions that can clarify their status.   That said, most of these names do represent legitimate species, almost all of which have always been rare (correct me if I am wrong please).

      After sending this list around to people like you, we expect that additional recent records will be discovered for some.  At the end of the exercise we will tabulate the species, annotate what is known of their habitats, geographic distribution, time or year, etc. and provide instructions as to where to look and collect to see if any of these species can be re-found.

      [Side Note:  There are approximately 800 breeding species of birds in North America....one would expect that people would be very concerned if a tenth of the species on that list hadn't been seen in the past 20 years...so, why aren't you concerned about these bees?]

      Thank you.

      sam.....

      Andrena cragini
      Andrena daeckei
      Andrena duplicata
      Andrena helianthiformis
      Andrena ignota
      Andrena irrasus
      Andrena lamelliterga
      Andrena mendica
      Andrena peckhami
      Andrena wilmattae
      Caupolicana electa
      Centris errans
      Coelioxys bisoncornua
      Colletes andrewsi
      Colletes ciliatus
      Colletes longifacies
      Colletes titusensis
      Epeolus banksi
      Epeolus canadensis
      Epeolus carolinus
      Epeolus floridensis
      Epeolus lanhami
      Epeolus vernalis
      Hesperapis oraria
      Hylaeus flammipes
      Hylaeus formosus
      Hylaeus volusiensis
      Lasioglossum alachuense
      Lasioglossum stuartense
      Macropis patellata
      Macropis steironematis
      Megachile bahamensis
      Megachile ingenua
      Megachile integrella
      Megachile oenotherae
      Melissodes fimbriata
      Melissodes manipularis
      Melissodes pilleata
      Nomada aquilarum
      Nomada augustiana
      Nomada micheneri
      Nomada seneciophila
      Nomada vincta
      Osmia hyperborea
      Osmia illinoensis
      Osmia svenssoni
      Perdita floridensis
      Perdita graenicheri
      Perdita krombeini
      Perdita mitchelli
      Perdita nubila
      Perdita obscurata
      Perdita townesi
      Pseudopanurgus helianthi
      Pseudopanurgus pauper
      Sphecodes crawfordi
      Sphecodes exaltus
      Sphecodes galerus
      Sphecodes nigricorpus
      Sphecodes paraplesius
      Sphecodes smilacinae
      Sphecodes trentonensis
      Stelis permaculata
      Trachusa crassipes
      Trachusa dorsalis
      Triepeolus micropygius
      Triepeolus mitchelli
      Triepeolus monardae
      Triepeolus nigrihirtus
      Triepeolus quadrifasciatus atlanticus
      Triepeolus rufithorax
      Xeromelecta interrupta
      Lasioglossum dubitatum
      Lasioglossum wheeleri

      Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
      Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

      For All

      Ah to be alive
      on a mid-September morn
      fording a stream
      barefoot, pants rolled up,
      holding boots, pack on,
      sunshine, ice in the shallows,
      northern rockies.

      Rustle and shimmer of icy creek waters
      stones turn underfoot, small and hard as toes
      cold nose dripping
      singing inside
      creek music, heart music,
      smell of sun on gravel.

      I pledge allegiance

      I pledge allegiance to the soil
      of Turtle Island,
      and to the beings who thereon dwell
      one ecosystem
      in diversity
      under the sun
      With joyful interpenetration for all.

      - Gary Snyder

      P Bees are not optional.

      T'ai Roulston
      Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
      Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
      University of Virginia

    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2010
        Sam:  Beth Norden et al reported on the biology of Perdita graenicheri in 1992 (J. Hym. Res. 1:107-118) but the field work was from 1989 so I guess it doesn't quite make your deadline.  Since the bee seemed to be locally common in 1989, its demise by 1990 seems unlikely since neither its floral hosts, nor its nest sites were likely to disappear.  I also have a short series of what I've identified as Osmia illinoensis from the Lost Pines region of Texas -  the ID is only tentative so I wouldn't scratch it from the list yet.

        best

        Jack