    From: Buffington, Matt
    Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 10:44
    To: .....
    Subject: Feb meeting of the Ent. Society of Washington

    Hello Friends,

    It is my pleasure to invite you to the February meeting of the Entomological
    Society of Washington, 4 Feb 2010. The meeting will meet at the Cathy Kerby
    Serminar Room of the NMNH at 7:30; we are starting 30 min late due to prior
    use of that room, and we want enough time to prepare the room prior to our
    occupancy.

    This month's speaker is Conrad Labandeira of the Dept. of Paleobiology at
    the NMNH, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC. The title of his talk is:

    ³MID MESOZOIC POLLINATION MODES²

    Extended Abstract: Recent discoveries from Middle Jurassic to Early
    Cretaceous deposits in Eurasia have revealed a spectacular array of
    long-proboscid insects engaged in pollination through their consumption of
    ovulate fluids from gymnospermous plant hosts. Data based on head and
    mouthpart structure, proboscis surface features, co-occurring ovulate
    fructification structure, nutritional spectra of recent pollination drops,
    geochemical characterization of fossil food tube contents, and pollen
    structure and their occurrence on head structures<collectively indicate the
    presence of active pollination. Nectar-like pollination drops of
    caytonialeans, cheirolepidiaceous conifers, czekanoskialeans, and
    pentoxylalean and caytonialean seed ferns were a reward for highly mobile
    scorpionflies, giant lacewings and brachyceran flies. By contrast, more
    sedentary, mandibulate insects such as beetles were involved in pollination
    of hosts such as bennettitaleans and cycads.

    A flyer announcing this talk, to be forwarded to colleagues or printed for
    your own use is attached to this email.

    Light refreshments will be served following the talk.

    See you there!

    Matt Buffington
    Program Chair, ESW

    M.L. Buffington, PhD