925RE: [beemonitoring] Bee-shaped and fluffy character

  • Weber, Don
    Jan 18, 2010

      I do think a hummingbird moth (or other diurnal hawk moth) is the best guess as to this pollinator – the size, hovering habit, and long proboscis sound right.  Here is a darker one from SE USA: http://elmostreport.blogspot.com/2008/07/snowberry-clearwing-moth-hemaris.html

      They are definitely important pollinators for some plant species.  http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/hawk_moths.shtml (note reference to orchids and Darwin in Madagascar)

      Mint family looks likely from the pic, thought SA has such a high biodiversity it is perilous to guess on plants!

      Don

      Donald C. Weber, Research Entomologist & Lead Scientist

      USDA Agricultural Research Service

      Invasive Insect Biocontrol & Behavior Laboratory

      BARC-West Building 011A, Room 107

      Beltsville, MD 20705  USA