830Re: [beemonitoring] collecting pollen from bees

  • Maria Stanko
    Nov 10, 2009
      Hi Diane,
      I have collected this kind of data for my dissertation and use methods put
      together though talking with several other researchers who use similar
      techniques. I bring about 10 collecting vials into the field and line
      them with paper baggies (nothing fancy, I roll and fold up squares of
      paper around the end of my finger). When they're filled, I close and
      label the bags and re-line the tubes. You've still got to carry all those
      baggies but it should be easier than a lot of vials. Or you could
      transfer specimens to little pill boxes.
      I use the fuchsin jelly method, the key is that you don't need a lot of
      jelly! The hardest part is learning to or getting someone to id the
      pollen.
      Feel free to email me off-list for more details,
      Maria Stanko

      --
      Maria Stanko
      Graduate Program in Ecology and Evolution