718Bombus auricomus? Photographed Sat July 18, Purcellville, VA

  • Elizabeth A Sellers
    Jul 20, 2009

      Hi Folks,

      Apart from all of the other exciting things I saw this weekend, I'm wondering if I've managed to photograph (all-be-it somewhat blurry and not as sharp as I'd like) Bombus auricomus in Purcellville, VA on Saturday July 18. It appeared to have a narrow yellow stripe between the thorax and the petiole, and the small yellow patch on the back of the head where it connects to the thorax that seem to distinguish it from B. pensylvanicus. Obviously, I'm not an 'insect' person so please forgive my murdering or misuse of anatomical terms here...

      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/tags/bombusauricomus/>

      And for the adventurous... some unknowns (but I have my suspicions) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/tags/bombussp/>
      I would submit these to BugGuide for help with the identifications... but I felt that I would be abusing their generosity since I cannot offer reciprocal assistance with other folks insect photographs.

      Thank you in advance for any ID assistance you can provide - it will be most appreciated!

      Cheers, Liz

      Elizabeth Sellers

      National Biological Information Infrastructure <
      www.nbii.gov>
      National Program Office
      United States Geological Survey
      12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 302
      Reston, VA 20192  USA
      Ph 703.648.4385 | Fax 703.648.4224 | esellers@...
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic