        From: Joe Metzger [jmetzger50@...]
        Sent: 01/06/2009 02:18 AM EST
        To: BeeMonitoring <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)

      Becky,

                I'm new to bee identification, but I don't ever recall seeing Bumble Bees or any large bee on Black Cohosh. I vaguely recall seeing small beetles.

                Since Black Cohosh normally grows in mature forest and in this area blooms in July, I would doubt if any large bee polinates it.

                                                        Joe

      To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com
      From: becky_loncosky@ nps.gov
      Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:54:05 -0500

      Thanks Peter,

      I forwarded the information on to the artist in case she wants to do
      further research.

      Becky Loncosky
      Biologist
      Catoctin Mountain Park
      6602 Foxville Road
      Thurmont, MD 21788
      301 416 0536

      "Peter Bernhardt"
      <bernhap2@slu. edu> To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com
      Sent by: cc: (bcc: Becky Loncosky/CATO/ NPS)
      beemonitoring@ yaho Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)
      ogroups.com

      01/05/2009 01:59
      PM CST
      Please respond to
      beemonitoring

      Dear becky:

      You're right. This is an unusual request but it may be easy to answer.
      Currently, the authority on the pollination biology of Cimicifuga in North
      America and Europe is Dr. Olle Pellmyr. He first started studying cohosh
      in the 1980's. He had a paper on the pollination of Cimicifuga arizonica
      in the 1985 edition of The Botanical Gazette and he has a new paper (2008)
      on the pollination of European Cimicifuga in the Nordic Journal of Botany.
      Here is Dr. Pellmyr's most recent address

      Dr. Olle Pellmyr
      Department of Botany
      Washington State University
      Pullman, Washington 99164

      I think that someone published a paper on the pollination of C. racemosa
      back in the late 60's or 70's. It's not online but I am certain that Dr.
      Pellmyr has this reference. He can look up the paper and send the list of
      bumblebee species associated with the flowers.

      There's another possibility. Wait for the plants to bloom in spring.
      Catch and kill the bumblebees and then send them in for identification
      after the specimens have been painted. That, after all, is how John James
      Audubon did it for the birds of North America.

      Peter

      On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, <becky_loncosky@ nps.gov> wrote:

      Hi all,

      This is going to be an unusual request, but I got an email from an
      artist
      who is working on a set of botanical
      watercolors of species present in Catoctin Mountain Park (in northern
      Maryland), inquiring about species of
      bumble bees (or other bees) that she could include on a painting of
      black
      cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa). She likes to keep the paintings as true
      life as she can. Any ideas?

      Thanks for your time.

      Becky Loncosky
      Biologist