50Re: [beemonitoring] Bombus-GroundIvy Connection?

  • Thomas of Baltimore
    Dec 21, 2006
      Are you suggesting that Ground Ivy nectar/pollen is inferior to that which is produced by other flowers?   Please share the source of your pollen/nectar analysis comparing Ground Ivy to other flowers?

      And, what study/data are you drawing from which demonstrates bumblebees visit Ground Ivy because they are desparate, not because they prefer it?

      On 12/21/06, Liz Day <beebuzz@...> wrote:

      >That's interesting that bees of all those proboscis lengths will use the
      >same flower. Quantitative data on frequency of use by each of those
      >species would be interesting. Bumble bees will investigate a wide range of
      >flowers, in my experience, but typically settle quickly on those that are
      >a good morphological match and rewarding.

      I would guess they are short of food in early spring and desperate for
      anything with nectar. Often in early spring I have walked around urban
      areas and there is very little of *anything* in bloom (at least on the
      ground; there may be bleeding sap or nectar/pollen in some trees).

      Liz Day
      Indianapolis Indiana USA

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic