462Cliff Bees

  • Frye, Jennifer
    Oct 28, 2008

      Hi everyone,

      I had a question I thought perhaps one or more of you could answer.  Twice in the last year, I have been asked my colleagues about bees nesting in cliffs.  Both sightings were in Maryland, one along the Potomac River in Charles County and the other along the Sassafras River in Kent County.  Both sites had sandy cliffs along the beach, and bees were apparently nesting in the sand on the cliff faces.  At one site, the landowner said that the bees nesting in the cliffs looked like small bumblebees, and that during the summer they come down to the water’s edge to drink(?)  Any ideas on what kind of bees they might be?  I have not actually seen them myself but am wondering if it is worth a trip to collect some next year.

      Thanks in advance for any information!

      Jen Frye

      Natural Heritage Program

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic