      From: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Sam Droege
      Sent: Mon 10/27/2008 8:52 AM
      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for the General Public

      All: At the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign meetings last
      week I sat on a committee to work on garden related topics. During that
      meeting we can to the realization that while there were a number of plant
      guides available and in the works for pollinators, there was actually
      relatively little information available to the general public on what
      these native bee pollinators actually were. We decided that it would make
      sense to introduce people to the genera of bees most likely to show up in
      their gardens. Rather than create an actual guide we decided to pull
      together some very general information that would be useful to nature
      centers, garden clubs, and other groups who would like to produce
      brochures or posters about local pollinators. They can choose and modify
      that information in any way they like. Ultimately there would be a series
      of publically available pictures they could also use.

      So, as usual, I would be very interested in your feedback on the concept
      as well as the format, categories of information, and the facts presented.

      Below is a mock up for the Genus Ceratina. You can send comments back to
      me directly (sdroege@...) or to the group as a whole if you think
      appropriate. I would particularly appreciate any interesting stories or
      facts that could be added.

      Thanks

      sam

      Everyman?s Guide to The Common Groups of Bees

      Scientific Name: Ceratina (sara-TINE-uh)

      Common Name: Small Carpenter Bee

      Approximate Number of Species in Canada: 6

      Approximate Number of Species East of the Rockies: 6

      Approximate Number of Species West of the Rockies: 17

      Approximate Number of Species in Mexico: ?

      General Abundance in Eastern Gardens: Common to Abundant

      General Abundance in Western Gardens: ?

      Time of Year: Throughout the bee season

      General Look and Feel: Size of a single long-grain rice kernel; dark
      metallic blue (often looks black) with prominent white mark on face;
      skinny, lacks obvious hair, abdomen parallel-sided and ribbed like a
      plastic water bottle; tip of abdomen with a small projecting point.

      Stinging: (Anyone with direct experience of Ceratina stings?)?low to no
      concern.

      Nesting Site: The female excavates a nest from the broken ends of
      brambles and shrubs with large soft pith.

      Overwintering Site: Adult males and females overwinter in their nest
      sites.

      Favorite Flowers: Occurs on almost all types of flowers.

      Interesting Ceratina Factoids:
      - A few species are extremely small, going down to about 1/8th inch
      (3mm).
      - Seems to profit from heavy deer browse

      Web Sites and Technical ID Guides:
      http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Ceratina
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratina

      How to Attract: Plant a diverse assemblage of flowering shrubs and
      perennials to provide pollen and nectar throughout the season; benefits
      from yearly brushhogging of at least a portion of shrubby fields to
      generate nesting sites and rejuvenate flowering resources; remove trees
      from old fields.

      Attributions: Thanks to John Ascher for use of his list of North American
      bee species.

      Sam Droege sdroege@...
      BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
      Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      A Chippewa tail of how the Hell-diver got its name as told to Wells Cooke
      and published in the
      first volume of Auk in 1884.

      "One on a time the Great Spirit looked down on all the beasts and
      birds and saw that their lives were one dull round of monotonous
      toil. So he told them to assemble at a certain place and he
      would teach them many beautiful games. He built an immense
      wigwam, and at the appointed time all were there except the Grebe.
      He made fun of the whole matter, and said he knew tricks enough
      already.

      While the Great Spirit was instructing the assemblage, the Grebe
      danced in derision before the door, and finally, emboldened by
      the forbearance of his master, ran into the room, and by dancing
      on the fire, put it out and filled the wigwam with smoke. Then
      the patience of the Great Spirit could stand it no longer, and
      giving the Grebe a kick, he exclaimed, 'Deformed shalt thou go
      through this world for the rest of thy days!' The imperial foot
      struck him just at the base of the tail. It knocked the body
      forward, but the legs remained behind, and the Grebe has ever
      since had the legs set so far back on the body that it cannot
      walk."