457Re: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for the General Public

  • Gretchen LeBuhn
    Oct 27 12:25 PM

      Have you looked at the mockups Mace Vaughan and I posted  on the Sunflower website?  We're still correcting errors in them but their pretty similar to what you've got.

      On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

      All:  At the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign meetings last week I sat on a committee to work on garden related topics.  During that meeting we can to the realization that while there were a number of plant guides available and in the works for pollinators, there was actually relatively little information available to the general public on what these native bee pollinators actually were.  We decided that it would make sense to introduce people to the genera of bees most likely to show up in their gardens.  Rather than create an actual guide we decided to pull together some very general information that would be useful to nature centers, garden clubs, and other groups who would like to produce brochures or posters about local pollinators.  They can choose and modify that information in any way they like.  Ultimately there would be a series of publically available pictures they could also use.

      So, as usual, I would be very interested in your feedback on the concept as well as the format, categories of information, and the facts presented.

      Below is a mock up for the Genus Ceratina.  You can send comments back to me directly (sdroege@...) or to the group as a whole if you think appropriate.  I would particularly appreciate any interesting stories or facts that could be added.

      Everyman's Guide to The Common Groups of Bees

      Scientific Name:  Ceratina (sara-TINE-uh)

      Common Name:  Small Carpenter Bee

      Approximate Number of Species in Canada:  6

      Approximate Number of Species East of the Rockies:  6

      Approximate Number of Species West of the Rockies:  17

      Approximate Number of Species in Mexico:  ?

      General Abundance in Eastern Gardens:  Common to Abundant

      General Abundance in Western Gardens:  ?

      Time of Year:  Throughout the bee season

      General Look and Feel:  Size of a single long-grain rice kernel; dark metallic blue (often looks black) with prominent white mark on face;  skinny, lacks obvious hair, abdomen parallel-sided and ribbed like a plastic water bottle; tip of abdomen with a small projecting point.

      Stinging:  (Anyone with direct experience of Ceratina stings?)…low to no concern.

      Nesting Site:  The female excavates a nest from the broken ends of brambles and shrubs with large soft pith.

      Overwintering Site:  Adult males and females overwinter in their nest sites.

      Favorite Flowers:  Occurs on almost all types of flowers.

      Interesting Ceratina Factoids:
      -        A few species are extremely small, going down to about 1/8th inch (3mm).
      -        Seems to profit from heavy deer browse

      Web Sites and Technical ID Guides:

      How to Attract:  Plant a diverse assemblage of flowering shrubs and perennials to provide pollen and nectar throughout the season;  benefits from yearly brushhogging of at least a portion of shrubby fields to generate nesting sites and rejuvenate flowering resources; remove trees from old fields.

      Attributions:  Thanks to John Ascher for use of his list of North American bee species.

      A Chippewa tail of how the Hell-diver got its name as told to Wells Cooke and published in the
      first volume of Auk in 1884.

      "One on a time the Great Spirit looked down on all the beasts and
      birds and saw that their lives were one dull round of monotonous
      toil. So he told them to assemble at a certain place and he
      would teach them many beautiful games.  He built an immense
      wigwam, and at the appointed time all were there except the Grebe.
      He made fun of the whole matter, and said he knew tricks enough

      While the Great Spirit was instructing the assemblage, the Grebe
      danced in  derision before the door, and finally, emboldened by
      the forbearance of his master, ran into the room, and by dancing
      on the fire, put it out and filled the wigwam with smoke.  Then
      the patience of the Great Spirit could stand it no longer, and
      giving the Grebe a kick, he exclaimed, 'Deformed shalt thou go
      through this world for the rest of thy days!'  The imperial foot
      struck him just at the base of the tail.  It knocked the body
      forward, but the legs remained behind, and the Grebe has ever
      since had the legs set so far back on the body that it cannot

      Gretchen LeBuhn
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic