4Coelioxys octodentata vs C. sayi - separation of males

    Apr 19, 2006
      Greetings Everyone:

      I think the new bee monitoring list is ready to use. If you know of
      anyone who would like to join you can email me their address and I
      will sign them up.

      To send a message to the group just email:

      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      Below is something that has frustrated me for a long while. After
      looking at many specimens and sorting through quite a number of
      misdetermined specimens I have come up with the following guide for
      these common species. I would be interested in any comments ...

      Thanks.

      sam

      C. octodentata vs C. sayi - combination of characters - a difficult
      pair to separate, most collections have numerous misidentifications

      C. octodentata - Primary character is the latitudinal groove that
      transverses T2 and especially T3, this groove is continuous across the
      segments, look particularly in the center of these segments, here it
      maintains a depth about the same as that on the sides and the pits in
      the bottom of the groove are continous, touching one another without a
      break and always touching - In addition to the character there is a
      PROPENSITY for the following characters to also occur, but beware,
      numerous exceptions occur femur orange, pits on center of T5 touching,
      some pits on center of S2 touching, distance between lateral ocelli
      less than distance from lateral ocelli to back of head we have seen no
      examples where the distance is more

      C. sayi - Primary character is the latitudinal groove that transverses
      T2 and especially T3, one can imagine that this groove is continuous
      across the segments, but look in the center of these segments, here,
      particularly on T3 it becomes very shallow, more like a depression
      than a groove, in contrast with its depth on the sides, the pits in
      the bottom of the groove are not continuous in the center, there is a
      break in the center where the pits no longer touch one another and
      some small gaps in the line of pits occur - In addition to this
      character there is a PROPENSITY for the following characters to also
      occur, but beware, numerous exceptions occur femur orange to part
      orange, to completely dark, pits on center of T5 usually not touching,
      pits on center of S2 usually not touching, distance between lateral
      ocelli varies and can be less than, equal to or more than the distance
      from lateral ocelli to back of head
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic