395Monitoring Oligolectic Species

    Aug 15, 2008
      Oligolectic species would be in one of the groups more likely to be
      missed...depending on the survey technique.

      Males and females may sometimes nectar off their host which would
      increase their probabilities of capture. Pantrap, malaise and other
      general traps often pick up oligolectic species, but there are many
      instances where they seem to be poor vehicles for capturing this group.

      This may be an instance where you would have to develop host-based
      special surveys, decide that general collecting would be sufficient, or
      decide that some groups simply will not be "monitored."

      I think that will be another topic area when surveys are being
      developed...that is, which species will be adequately covered, and
      which will not.

      sam

      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wilson" <mwilso14@...>
      wrote:

      > Just trying to understand,
      > To determine change in the health of oligolectic species, wouldn't
      > one need to follow plant communities that often move
      > dynamically across the landscape? How would this
      > be done with static locations?
      > Thanks,
      > Michael Wilson

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic