3533Re: [beemonitoring] Mosquito Authority and bees

  • askartie@...
    Aug 26, 2014
      Ah, if only it were so easy as putting up bat boxes.  Unfortunately the whole "bats can eat thousands of mosquitoes in a night" is somewhat of a myth.  Sure, in a room full of nothing but mosquitoes you bet they will eat their fill - I probably would also if I were stuck in a room with nothing else to eat.  But in the real world there is a lot more to eat than just mosquitoes, and bats, being the smart mammals that they are, will go for optimal foraging whenever possible.  A nice noctuid moth is more like a piece of steak (or eggplant for you vegetarians), whereas a mosquito is like a piece of popcorn.  Given the choice, a bat will pick the steak instead of the popcorn whenever possible - more bug for the buck.  I still encourage installing bat boxes - they are fascinating mammals and great to have around, plus the bat boxes sometimes make great hymenopteran hideouts as well.  However, don't count on bats to solve your mosquito population problems.

      Meanwhile, on the subject of barrier sprays for mosquitoes using bifenthrin (and other related pyrethroids), yes these are toxic to bees and other pollinators.  Best practices would suggest that the applicator avoid flowering plants during the treatment, applying the barrier instead to the shady foliage where the mosquitoes seek harborage from the heat of the mid-day sun.  However, this is not a requirement of the label, and in the world of pesticide application, "the label is the law."  The gentleman was not in violation of any law by spraying the flowers.  Unfortunately, most people looking for barrier applications in their yards are not concerned about the non-target effects of the mosquito control application - to many of our neighbors, nature is a scary place and the only good insect is a dead insect.  Susan, when you meet with the franchiser, you might suggest that they avoid spraying plants that are currently in bloom and focus their efforts instead primarily on harborage foliage.

      Mike

      Michael “Doc” Weissmann, Ph.D.
      Chief Entomologist
      Colorado Mosquito Control
      7000 Broadway, Suite 108
      Denver, Colorado  80221 USA
      NEW PHONE: 303-428-5908 or toll free at 877-276-4306
      Cell: 303-944-9552; Fax: 866-929-1204
      E-mail: dweissmann@... or AskArtie@...
      Website: www.comosquitocontrol.com