3480Re: [beemonitoring] Germaine Greer Insists...

  • Elsa Youngsteadt
    Aug 6, 2014
    I recently learned about an example of a pollination/seed predation mutualism involving plants in the family Phyllanthaceae and moths in the genus Epicephala. Their interaction is described in the attached paper and references therein. I don't know if this happens in Australia, but in any case, it's another example that is not a yucca or a fig.
    Best wishes,
    Elsa

    On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Peter Bernhardt bernhap2@... [beemonitoring] <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    Australian broadcasting asked me to review Germaine Greer's most recent book, "White Beech; The Rainforest Years."  Some of you will know that Greer purchased a piece of northeastern Australia  in 2001 to restore native species and destroy invasives like lantana.

    In two sections of the book Greer insists that the same insects that pollinate the flowers of her tropical trees also lay their eggs in the fruit or seeds.  The pollination biology of native, tropical trees in Australia is in its infancy and Greer does not indicate how she came by her conclusion.  She does recount the fig-wasp story.  Does anyone know of any other tropical/equatorial group of trees pollinated by the same insects that oviposit on fruits or seeds?  No, Yucca does NOT count.

    Peter

  • Show all 6 messages in this topic