3452Re: [beemonitoring] Design for adjustable pan traps (aka: elevated or raised pan traps)

  • Nicholas Stewart
    Jul 10, 2014

      I actually use bowls that have magnets glued to the bottom, & corresponding metal washers glued to a piece of 2x4. The 2x4 has an end-piece of PVC screwed into it, that fits into a 4' piece of PVC with the end sawed to a tapering point. I hammer in the PVC, attach the PVC end-cap attached to the 2x4, then just magnetically secure the bowls atop that.

      It all breaks down conveniently,  & 40 of them can fit into the trunk of my Ford Focus

      On Jul 10, 2014 10:41 AM, "'Droege, Sam' sdroege@... [beemonitoring]" <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      You can always staple, glue or nail a trap in place on a stand and the put another one with soapy water into that one for increased resistance to being blown away.

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      All day and night, music,
      a quite, bright
      reedsong. If it
      fades, we fade
         - Rumi

      On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Zak Gezon zachariah.j.gezon@... [beemonitoring] <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Crystal,

      I sampled for bees in a marsh habitat and I placed the traps on PVC platforms.  It worked well as long as there wasn't any wind.  It helped to velcro the traps to the platform, and I made the platform out of mesh so the bees would get caught if it rained and the bowls overflowed.  I think the design could easily be modified with a wingnut to allow you to adjust the height on the fly.

      Inline image 3

      Inline image 4Inline image 1Inline image 2

      On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Crystal Boyd Crystal.Boyd@... [beemonitoring] <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks, Elizabeth and Rufus. Your suggestions are great for stationary pan traps. They'd work perfectly in a habitat where the vegetation stays uniform.

      I'm working in the tallgrass prairie, where vegetation grows from short to tall each season. I'd like to use one PVC pipe with an adjustable arm.

      A trip to the hardware store might spark some creativity... I'll report back soon. List-serv, please keep your great suggestions flowing!

      Thanks,
      Crystal

      On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:12 AM, 'Sellers, Elizabeth' esellers@... [beemonitoring] <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Crystal,

      I used these single-stem plant props ($1.38 each at Home Depot - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Garden-Zone-36-in-Plant-Prop-613672/100562892?N=5yc1vZbx6iZ1z0w0l4) which turned out to be the perfect size for holding my 3.25 oz solo cup bee bowls about 6" below the 'canopy' of a field of largely herbaceous close-growing plants (including a nice thick layer of poison ivy). This was along a 30 bowl transect - 30 props for 30 bowls.

      Here's a photo. I opened the top loop to the right width to hold each bowl by its rim.

      There's a blue painted bowl on top of a plant prop in the foreground of this photo - the rest of the transect is hidden within the vegetation running along the 'trail'. This one just happened to be more exposed. I didn't want to have a mix of propped and non-propped bowls within the same transect, it was all or none.

      I did this in part to:

      - make the bowls visible to over-flying bees but not too exposed (lower than the 'canopy' but not completely hidden by the vegetation);
      - accessible for my volunteers who sometimes struggled to find all of the bowls in a transect; and to
      - avoid having to reach down through poison ivy (to which I am very allergic - based on years of experience) to place and pick up the bowls.

      Cheers, Liz

      Elizabeth Sellers

      Eco-Science Synthesis (ESS)
      Core Science Analytics, Synthesis, and Libraries (CSAS&L)
      BISON Data Team; USGS Liaison to the Plant Conservation Alliance
      United States Geological Survey (USGS)
      12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 302
      Reston, VA 20192  USA
      Room 2A231C

      Looking for species occurrence data for the U.S.? Check out:
      Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (BISON) http://bison.usgs.ornl.gov/

      Future generations will not be able to read and will communicate
      using emoticons; and we 'dinosaurs' will be called upon to 'interpret'
      text like Egyptian hieroglyphs from thousands of years ago.

      "No amount of automation will replace human beings, but clumsy and belligerent automation will alienate them and suppress their creativity." Kazic, et al., 2003. Whither Biological Database Research?

      On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Crystal Boyd Crystal.Boyd@... [beemonitoring] <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello, everyone. Do you know of any designs for building adjustable, elevated pan traps?

      Alex Surcica and Sam Droege posted a great slideshow here for multiple traps on one rod.

      I'm curious if you've  done something similar for a single bee bowl at each rod--like an adjustable version of Sam's glycol trap holders.

      Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
      Crystal

      --
      Zak Gezon