3400Re: Honeybee Worker as Heroine

    Jun 18, 2014
      Dear Lisa:

      Thanks for your opinion and comments on the novel.  If you read the "letter-to-the-editor" section of the Sunday book review at The New York Times consider also the comments of a Mr Curtis Crowell (treasurer of the New Jersey bee-keepers association).

      I think that Mr Crowell's letter makes some points that have a lot of merit.  The best part is that the NY Times actually published a letter that described both the insemination of queen bees and offered praise for the work of Thomas Seeley (who is very praiseworthy).  Speaking from personal experience, the book review section of The New York Times

      On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM, lkuder@... [beemonitoring] <beemonitoring-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Just finished this book (‘The Bees’ by Laline Paull) a few days ago. It’s full of scientific inaccuracies but a riveting story. This won’t give anything away . . . you might need a box of tissues at the end. Anyway, it certainly makes one think of honey bees, spiders and wasps in a new light. Artistic merit of bee fiction? Re. this book, I agree w/ the NY Time’s reviewer . . . absolutely! Ultimate value? Books that humanize, say, animals or trees, seem to help people relate better and thus have more compassion for them. Perhaps bee fiction will move readers in the same way.

      Lisa Kuder

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic