3393Re: [beemonitoring] Biodiversity data could become a legal issue?

  • Charles Guevara
    Jun 9, 2014
        In 1980, Diamond vrs Chakrabarty, US Supreme Court found by 5 to 4 justices, that living manmade microorganisms are  patentable.  My links never work: Patenting of a living organism
              So then we have patents on body cells, patents on organism proteins...with no royalties to the person the cells or proteins reside in.  And of course with no penalties or damage payments by the patent owners when GEMS hybridize with native species (happening in trout populations, microbes, other flora and fauna).
         Our Supreme Court has also found that: corporations are citizens (like flesh and blood citizens,,,hummm)...and enjoy the same rights as other citizens,  our Supreme Court has found that: money equals free speach.
         So it's bio-pioneering intelectual property 'land grab'...for data sets/bioinformatics/blurring onto bioresource datasets....so much for open access colaborations of researchers.
         I suggest the comon thread is exclusion of all too many of us from the 'five to four' legalities which are augmenting this trend to privitazation /patent sequester of the public comons.   charlie guevara

      On Monday, June 9, 2014 8:27 PM, "Peter Bernhardt bernhap2@... [beemonitoring]" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Would someone please go to the following link and explain this to the rest of us?  Some of my Australian colleagues are taking this very seriously.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic