3391Funding for Natural Design?

    Jun 6, 2014
      Don Weber's critique is valid.  Should we fund technology exploiting natural design/dynamics before we understand the organism/species we think is a lucrative, technological template?  No, but you will never convince government funding committees or private entrepreneurs of that any time soon.

      Here's a link to one of the most famous cases of engineering taking precedence over biology and natural history.  The species in question offered a novel solution to an engineering problem only a few years AFTER the species was introduced to Europe via South America in the 19th century.  Based on scientific publications it looks like the life history of this species didn't receive much attention until the second half of the 20th century.   A version of the building continues to exist and the design has been copied in other countries.  I've seen the Australian version in Melbourne.  Can you guess (*Hint, Ghilean Prance found it was pollinated by large beetles).

      Peter