      From: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com on behalf of OOWONBS@...
      Sent: Wed 6/25/2008 4:49 PM
      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Disease spread vector

      >We could unwittingly introduce new problems to
      regions that lacked them before. Witness the spread of tracheal mites
      and Varroa mites by beekeepers around the US.

      >James H. Cane
      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      Trying to learn:
      An issue of sharing a pond bank with possibly diseased neighbor's
      bees, and "clean new" bees of the pond owner...

      Risk level?
      Are these mites more prevalent in nurses on brood?
      These become foragers, yes? Do mite infestations in foragers
      exist at near-same levels as nurses? ... indicating a reasonable
      (reasonably high/negative) risk when sharing banks of a small pond?

      Or is the risk equal as the vector is the visited flower, anyway?
      Or do bees not visit "previously-owned' flowers?
      (I thought I had read that. they tended not to.)

      (Request permission in advance to repost this,
      w/credit due to list & author(s.)
      BillSF9c
      http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GardenBees ... New, 12 Members
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic