      From: "Peter Bernhardt bernhap2@... [beemonitoring]" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, May 16, 2014 9:22 AM
      To: "Riddle,T Charles" <tcri@...>, Bee United <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: Liz Day <lizday44@...>
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Pollination of asclepiads

      Dear Charles:

      Remember, sunflowers (Helianthus species) are endemic to North America.  Monarchs should encounter wild populations in bloom (and their sister genera like Helianthella) on the way south each year.  Furthermore, it's one of the few crops first domesticated by native Americans living west of the Mississippi but north of Mexico.  Monarchs could be extremely important to the pollination and genetic "health" of this genus in domestication or in natural populations.

      In the past two decades, or so, big seed companies have brought out a self-pollinating, self-compatible sunflower for the seed and oil industry.  However, if you read the instructions on their seed sacks they insist that seed set in their breeds always improves with pollinator activity. I did a little work for a law firm suing a major seed company on this issue years ago (Don't ask!).

      Here's another thing we have not considered and our Mexican members should be able to help us.  What did the monarch mean to the pre-Cortez civilizations of Mexico?  How do butterflies, in general, figure into Toltec, Olmec, Aztec etc. cultures?  Remember, these are the same people who gave us the domesticated zinnias, marigolds (Tagetes), dahlias and tube roses.  The first three are all nectar-secreting members of the Asteraceae with summer-autumn flowering periods. I've seen monarchs on zinnias, haven't you?  Hmmmm.

      By the way, the Olmecs are credited with domesticating the cocoa bush.  Thank the next Olmec you meet.

      Peter

      On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Riddle,T Charles <tcri@...> wrote:

      Funny sunflowers should be mentioned. The most monarchs I have ever seen was on a farm in southeastern Georgia that planted late sunflowers for and oil crop. At least two orders of magnitude greater than I have seen elsewhere.