3352RE: [beemonitoring] Monarchs/Butterflies/Skippers as pollinators

  • Stillwaugh, Donald M
    May 15, 2014

      Liz, Peter and all,

      I was a student of the late Dr. Betz at NEIU and spent some time in his lab helping to count pollinia on bee specimens….fond memories.

      Keeping to the broader subject, swallowtails do some significant pollination of Lilium spp. Mark Skinner wrote a seminal work - Skinner, M. W. 1988. Comparative Pollination Ecology and Floral Evolution in Pacific Coast Lilium. Ph.D. dissertation. Harvard University.

      I spent many seasons monitoring Catesby’s lilies here in Florida and made hundreds of incidental visitation observations with Papilio palamedes doing the lion’s share followed by P. troilus. Having come across Mark’s wonderful work, our Environmental Lands research group was in the process of working out methodologies for some pollination studies when the economy tanked. Sadly, most of our positions were eliminated and no study ever materialized. I do still have some nice images clearly showing yellow pollen on the butterfly’s wing tips (nectar at base of sepals is some 3 – 4 inches removed from tips of anthers, thus a large vector is needed for pollination).

      Best Regards,

      Don

      Donald Stillwaugh
      Pinellas County Utilities Solid Waste
      464-7570
      dstillwa@...
      All government correspondence is subject to the public records law.