      Dear Michael:

      I like your explanation the best of all and am sending it to my Australian (Sydney side) friend.  She insists that this tale of Mexican bees introduced to England was on a program produced by the ABC.  Once it reaches the internet (if it hasn't already) it will be immortal.

      Peter

      On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:01 AM, MICHAEL RIISAGER <pmichaelriisager@...> wrote:
      I can personally vouch for, as a kid in London and London suburbs before, during and after WW II that honey bee colonies were alive and flourishing. A friend’s neighbor in Upminster, Essex, and a colleague of my father in a London Square kept hives going throughout the Blitz, ‘Doodle-bugs,’ and  ballistic missiles.
      I suppose the Mexican bees were transmitted via the periscopes of German U-Boats and trained to send encoded messages (Spanish or German??) via bee-dances to the Luftwaffe.

      Amazing, ain’t it, the spontaneous generation of poppycock (or ‘pappe-cac,’ a closer approximation to the original Dutch...).

      Sent from Windows Mail

      From: Jack Neff jlnatctmi@... [beemonitoring]
      Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎May‎ ‎14‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎56‎ ‎AM
      To: Peter Bernhardt, Bee United

      Apparently another urban myth.  You might want to check this site History of Honey Bees in the United Kingdom

      History of Honey Bees in the United Kingdom
      The article below is based on a lecture given by Philip Denwood to the SICAMM Conference in Landquart, Switzerland, on 1st September 2012

      Preview by Yahoo

      On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:41 AM, "Peter Bernhardt bernhap2@... [beemonitoring]" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Would a historian of honeybee importations be willing to corroborate or disprove the following story sent by an Australian friend?

      Recently on the ABC Garden Show they said that during World War 2 all the bees disappeared from England.  They had to replace them with bees imported from Mexico and other countries.  So the bee population in England cant really claim to be British they said.

      Peter Bernhardt

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic