33Re: [beemonitoring] Common Bees of Washington D.C. - And a call for similar lists

  • T'ai Roulston
    Dec 19, 2006
      Sam:

      If you don't find a better place to post it, I could post the common
      bees of Washington, DC list as a separate web page on my own web
      site, which includes my ongoing list of bees from my field station
      (http://people.virginia.edu/~thr8z/Bee_Diversity/Blandy_Bee_Diversity.php).
      It would be best, however, to have it as part of a broader
      compilation, if anyone has one or is working on one.

      T'ai

      At 10:12 AM 12/19/2006, you wrote:

      >All:
      >
      >Attached is a list of the common bees of the Washington D.C. area,
      >based on our surveys over the past several years. While we do plan
      >to publish a complete list at some point, you know how that goes,
      >there is always another bee to find, and old specimens to track down
      >and verify. In the meantime, after a few years it becomes clear
      >what the generally common species are. That list is very useful to
      >those just beginning to do ecological, inventory, monitoring, or
      >research work.
      >
      >Consequently, I would like to challenge the other bee researchers
      >out there to do something similar for their research regions or
      >where they live. Format doesn't really matter. Although I don't
      >have a web site where we can post such things I bet Gretchen LeBuhn
      >or someone else does.....
      >
      >Just think about how handy that list would have been when you started.....
      >
      >Thanks.
      >
      >sam
      >

      >Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
      >w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
      >USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
      >BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
      >Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov
      >
      >On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness
      >
      >The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls
      >Of mastodons, are billiard balls.
      >
      >The sword of Charlemagne the Just
      >Is Ferric Oxide, known as rust.
      >
      >The grizzly bear, whose potent hug,
      >Was feared by all, is now a rug.
      >
      >Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
      >And I don't feel so well myself.
      >
      > -- Arthur Guiterman

      T'ai Roulston
      Asst. Prof., Dept. Env. Sciences
      University of Virginia
      Associate Director
      Blandy Experimental Farm www.virginia.edu/blandy
      400 Blandy Farm Lane
      Boyce, Va. 22620 USA
      Ph# (540) 837-1758 ext 276 Fax (540) 837-1523
      http://www.people.virginia.edu/~thr8z/HomePage.html
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic