326Re: [beemonitoring] robbing

  • nancy lee adamson
    Jun 10, 2008
      Hi, Michael,

      I would like to hear more details about the methods you are using.  I didn't hear back much since I wrote about Winfree's approach.  I am floundering a bit, so would love to hear what has been working well for you.

      Thanks.  Nancy

      On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Wilson, Michael E <mwilso14@...> wrote:

      Hi Nancy, sounds like we are doing the same thing. Dr. Sampson also has an article on this.

      Sampson, B. J., Kanka, R. G., Stringer, S. J. (2004). Nectar robbery by bees Xylocopa virginica and Apis mellifera contributes to the pollination of Rabbiteye Blueberry. Journal of Economic Entomology 97(3): 735-740.

      here's the article I have for Dr. Delaplane

      Dedej, S. and Delaplane K. S. (2004). Nectar-robbing carpenter bees reduce seed-setting capability of honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in Rabbiteye blueberry, Vaccinium ashei, 'Climax'. Environmental Entomology 33(1): 100-106.

      I'm noting if each visitor is 'legitimate visit' or 'robbing' and will use that in determining
      the most significant pollinators. At two of my three sites honey bees provided zero pollination that
      I could tell. Carpenter bees over all seemed to be 'pretty good' pollinators even though some robbed. The bloom
      is over here, but I think I figured out what I need to do next year. I certainly need more locations
      as very different things where happening at each location.

      I'm interested in what you said about robbing occurring after peak bloom. Are you pretty confident
      that it starts after peak bloom? My plans for the 2009 bloom was to visit 7 locations 2 times. I wonder
      if I need to increase the per farm visits to get before, during, and after peak bloom observations per farm?
      One farm I visited never really had a peak bloom though, it was just
      kind of a slow, steady, modest bloom, they trimmed heavily the previous year due to the frost, and I think
      that must have affected their bloom this year. They had robbing the entire time.

      -Thanks,
      Michael Wilson (UTK grad student)