3229Outreach - Conveying the 'diversity' of bee diversity

  • Kyle Martins, Mr
    Apr 16, 2014
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm presenting to the municipal planners of Quebec next week on the importance of bee diversity for crop pollination (apples, blueberries, raspberries) and the role of residential gardens and meadows in supporting said diversity. I'm looking for a creative way of conveying that bees are a really diverse group, as opposed to comprising just the honey bee. Does anyone have any suggesting to offer on how best to do so? In the past, I've either a) showed a picture of a honey bee then a whole bunch of pictures of many different bee species, or b) constructed a very basic 'family tree' for bees vis-a-vis other hymenopterans and singled out honey bees as just one of many species. Is there a better way? Any effective figures floating around the net?

      Kyle Martins, MSc.
      Department of Biology
      McGill University
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic